Re: [News] Why You Should Care About GNU/Linux

Andrew Halliwell wrote:

> Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In article <8creh6-d0c.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> Andrew Halliwell <spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Whether it'll still WORK however, is another matter entirely.
>>> I know for a fact it stopped working sometime in the SuSE 8 or 9
>>> stage. ABI and API changes, new library versions and older linker no
>>> longer supported...
>>>
>>> Though I suppose you could install suse 6 (or Redhat 6) on a virtual
>>> machine to run it in.
>>
>> Compare to Mac: my copies of Word, Excel, and WordPerfect, from the
>> 1985-90 range, continued to work on my Powerbook until OS X 10.5,
>> released late 2007.
>
> Because the mac has an emulation layer for the old CPU architecture
> perhaps? That's the correct way to go about it.
>
> It's better to lose backwards compatibility once in a while than try to
> cling to the past and bloat out your OS with legacy crap to the point of
> implosion.
>
> You can always virtual machine/emulate your way around the problem if
> you need something that old...

Most of the times you can get an old program to work under linux by
supplying some symlinks for library versions which no longer exist.
ABI/API changes which brakes a program completely are rare.

And then, for 99.9% of linux applications that problem is non-existant,
since you can always compile the source anyway.

So linux has much more freedom in not providing backwards compatibility
than the closed systems like windows and OSX could ever have
--
We are Linux. Resistance is measured in Ohms.