[News] Rich Linux GUI on Pentium IIs with LXDE

LXDE: Resource-Friendly Desktop Environment for X

,----[ Quote ]
| We're all pretty much versed in the worlds of GNOME, KDE, and to a lesser
| degree, Xfce, and while there are lots of alternatives, none of the smaller
| ones really seem to gain much traction beyond their fans. An exception is
| LXDE, a small and resource efficient desktop environment.
|
| The Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, or LXDE as it's more commonly known,
| really takes its "lightweightness" seriously. They claim that LXDE's minimum
| hardware specifications are only slightly higher than that of Windows 98,
| consuming only 45MB of memory after boot. Any Pentium II processor should be
| capable enough of running LXDE, and thanks to it being ported to ARM an
|
| [...]
|
| It seems like LXDE has the possibility of becoming the desktop environment of
| choice for resource-constrained machines. I have several Pentium II machines
| that would perform pretty good with LXDE as their desktops, and I must say, t
| has become a tempting idea.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/21715/LXDE_Resource-Friendly_Desktop_Environment_for_X

Recent:

Debian and LXDE

,----[ Quote ]
| In any case, the combination Debian (testing) + LXDE is lightning fast. I
| haven’t timed anything yet, but it feels even faster than my Arch install,
| even using ext3. Okay, at the moment it doesn’t boot into X yet, I have to
| start it manually. Wireless hasn’t been configured yet, sound doesn’t work
| yet, and I have to install most of the applications I need…but man, it’s
| fast.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/debian-and-lxde/

Taking LXDE For a Test Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| I found LXDE to a pretty nice desktop environment. It’s certainly fast, comes
| with a reasonable amount of good quality tools, and a nice appearance.
| There’s room for improvement, however, particularly when it comes to
| configuration. I would count it as a good option for recent Windows converts,
| particularly those with older hardware that might have trouble running a
| beefier desktop such as Gnome or KDE. Has it pulled me away from my beloved
| Window Maker? I don’t think so, but it’s progressing nicely and I’d love to
| see what the developers come up with down the road.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/taking-lxde-for-a-test-drive/2009/04/22

Sidux Linux with LXDE - First Impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| I am still new to Sidux and LXDE but I will give it a throrough test.  I use
| my Thinkpad for much of my work when I travel Saigon by motorbike.
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/2009/01/04/sidux-linux-with-lxde-first-impressions/

Trying out LXDE

,----[ Quote ]