[News] GNU/Linux Still Ahead of the Curve with Multitouch

Linux touchscreen advances

,----[ Quote ]
| French development group at ENAC have developed native multitouch using the
| Linux 2.6.30 kernel, and can support swipe, flip, rotate and pinch-resize
| gestures...
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/open-source-linux/2009/06/linux-touchscreen-advances.html

Recent:

Add multi-touch to your Linux notebook… and your old MacBook

,----[ Quote ]
| Here’s a fascinating hack for a rainy day. Programmer randomtruth has figured
| out a way to enable multi-touch under Linux and is working on a way to add
| multi-touch to older MacBooks.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/18/add-multi-touch-to-your-linux-notebook-and-your-old-macbook/

Native Multi-Touch Support On Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Mohamed-Ikbel Boulabiar has written in to report that he and his team at the
| Interactive Computing Lab in ENAC, Toulouse have been successful in bringing
| native multi-touch support to Linux. While there is Multi-Pointer X in the
| mainlinue X.Org server (to be released with X.Org 7.5 / X Server 1.7), there
| is now multi-touch support to be able to handle gestures and other actions.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzMyMQ

Enable (Some) Multi-Touch Gestures in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| As the author notes, three-finger tapping for a right-click is kind of
| hit-and-miss, and many users may not want any kind of tap-to-click powers at
| all. Luckily, it's easy to remove the last line or two from the config file
| posted to disable it—or, in systems like Ubuntu, simply disable tap-to-click
| from the Mouse configuration.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5192139/enable-some-multi+touch-gestures-in-linux

Community Live: Newcastle Maker Faire, March 14-15, 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The chaps from BBC backstage were showing off some cool bits and pieces from
| the BBC's R&D department, including an open source multi-touch sensor which
| makes cunning use of a web-cam and can just about manage to track 10 fingers
| (though not so easily on the prototype they were showing because the surface
| was so small). They also showed a _very_ clever software image stabilisation
| system which worked with the picture stream from dumb, but high definition
| cameras.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Community-Live-Newcastle-Maker-Faire-March-14-15-2009--/features/112900

A Working X Input 2 Implementation

,----[ Quote ]
| This morning, however, Peter Hutterer (of MPX fame) has his first working X
| Input 2 implementation.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzE1Nw

ATI Linux Drivers Gain Support For Unreleased RS880

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD's current flagship offering when it comes to integrated ATI graphics is
| the Radeon HD 3300 / 790GX. This IGP was introduced last fall as a minor
| refresh to the Radeon HD 3200 / 780G Chipset. As something new for consumers
| to consider, soon it looks like AMD will be introducing the RS880. The RS880
| will likely have a marketing name within the Radeon HD 4000 series and will
| be their fastest integrated graphics solution, well, for now.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzE1OA

Related:

Multi-touch support for MPX [in Linux]