[News] Hell Breaks Loose After Attack on Customers, Artist Wants RIAA Shut Down

RIAA: Be Careful What You Wish For

,----[ Quote ]
| Various tweets from Minnesota confirm that a federal jury as just returned an
| astonishing verdict of $1,920,000 against Jammie Thomas for downloading 24
| songs. That's $80,000 per song.
`----

http://excesscopyright.blogspot.com/2009/06/riaa-be-careful-what-you-wish-for.html

Damages of $1.9 million could backfire on music industry

,----[ Quote ]
| While the recording industry claims strong support in Congress, with powerful
| champions including House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich.,
| and his Senate counterpart Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., the Minneapolis verdict
| could well lead to a legislative move to reduce the damages awards available
| against individual infringers like Thomas-Rasset.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSTRE55K07E20090621

Moby Says 'Disband The RIAA' For Winning $1.92 Million From Jammie Thomas

,----[ Quote ]
| This isn't new territory for Moby. Way back in 2003, he got angry after
| finding out that some of his songs were being used by the RIAA to sue people,
| and stated: "I'm tempted to go onto Kazaa and download some of my own music,
| just to see if the RIAA would sue me for having mp3's of my own songs on my
| hard-drive."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090622/0026265308.shtml

Moby: The RIAA Needs to be Disbanded

,----[ Quote ]
| The two million dollar fine handed out to Jammie Thomas by a Minnesota jury
| this week hasn’t done the music industry’s image much good. While lawyers and
| high level managers at the major labels cracked open the Champagne, artists
| such as Moby and Radiohead shook their heads in shame at what the music world
| has become.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/moby-the-riaa-needs-to-be-disbanded-090620/

So Why Can't Major Record Labels Provide Accurate Accounting To Bands?

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the years, that's resulted in many, many accusations from artists that
| the labels are flat out lying about how much an artist actually earns. That's
| why you hear stories of artists selling millions of albums and never seeing a
| dime in royalties or of artists suing record labels because of sneaky
| accounting tricks to hide how much an album has earned.

And Of Course: RIAA Mouthpieces Defend $1.92 Million Judgment

,----[ Quote ]
| Tom Sydnor, from the Progress & Freedom Foundation (PFF), a loud and proud
| supporter of stronger copyright at every turn (and who is well funded by the
| RIAA labels), apparently missed the memo on playing down the number.

Universities Struggling To Deal With Law Requiring Them To Fight File Sharing

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090618/0337155278.shtml