[News] Antithesis of the Copyright Cartel Grants Award

Adam Curry wins again!

,----[ Quote ]
| This post is written and translated by Paul Keller of CC Netherlands, first
| posted in Dutch on the CC Netherlands blog earlier today. Regarding one of
| the quotes below, to be clear, note CC licenses do not override fair use.

The right to be free

,----[ Quote ]
| Everybody knows, that DRM is bad. Also everybody knows, that Open Source is
| just a compromise and a stage in transition to a close-to-ideal system, which
| Free Software is. The free culture advocates have written dozens of books,
| heaps of articles and hundreds and thousands of blog entries showing the
| sense of standing against the law, organizations and corporations who bound
| (or try to put boundaries) on our freedom. Also stacks and heaps of text has
| been produced showing why should we boycott “bad” products designed by the
| aforementioned villains, the products being designed to achieve one obvious
| goal : to maximize profit, regardless of the consumer’s good.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/uncategorized/the-right-to-be-free/

Recent:

DRM licensing group presses on with plan to plug analog hole

,----[ Quote ]
| The AACS-LA plans to phase out analog output of Blu-ray and other
| AACS-protected content over the next few years. The move is ostensibly to
| prevent pirating, but it seems more likely to just cause headaches for
| legitimate consumers.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/06/drm-licensing-group-presses-on-with-plan-to-plug-analog-hole.ars

Into the DTV era, with no broadcast flag mandate

,----[ Quote ]
| Just a few years ago, some broadcasters and movie studios argued that this
| transition couldn't happen without a DRM mandate -- a legal requirement for
| devices to obey the broadcast flag and apply DRM restrictions to free,
| over-the-air broadcasts. And they said they would hold up and obstruct this
| transition unless they got their way.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/06/dtv-era-no-broadcast

Swedish pirate party tipped for EU win

,----[ Quote ]
| THE SWEDISH Pirate Party has been favoured to win at least one seat in the
| European parliament this week.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1184453/swedish-pirate-party-tipped-eu-win

Lars Gustafsson: “Why my vote goes to the Pirate Party” (English translation of
today’s text)

,----[ Quote ]
| Lars Gustafsson is probably Sweden’s most profilic living writer. Since the
| late 1950’s he has produced a steady flow of poetry, novels and literary
| criticism. At the same time, he has until recently been active as professor
| of philosophy at the University of Texas. Now he’s back in Sweden and just
| started publishing himself on a blog. He has also received a long list of
| literary awards, most recently – only two days ago – the Selma Lagerlöf
| award.
`----

http://copyriot.se/2009/05/27/lars-gustafsson-why-my-vote-goes-to-the-pirate-party-english-translation-of-todays-text/

German Pirate Party Sets Course For European Parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| The European elections are only two weeks away, and Pirate Party candidates
| vie for seats in different countries. We speak with some of them, starting
| with Andreas Popp, lead candidate for the German Piraten Partei.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/german-pirate-party-sets-course-for-european-parliament-090522/

Poll: Swedish pro file-sharing party gains support

,----[ Quote ]
| A new poll shows a Swedish party that calls for legalizing Internet
| file-sharing could win a seat in the European Parliament in June.
|
| The poll published Thursday in the Stockholm newspaper Dagens Nyheter shows
| the Pirate Party's backing has surged after a court verdict against The
| Pirate Bay file-sharing site. Four men behind The Pirate Bay were convicted
| this month of copyright violations and sentenced to a year in prison.
`----

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/poll-swedish-pro-filesharing-party-gains-support-20090430-ap1q.html
http://tinyurl.com/cu2azv

Swedish Pirate Party Heading for EU Parliament

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/swedish-pirate-party-heading-for-eu-parliament-090430/