Re: For those who still claim Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly...

> ____/ Gregory Shearman on Sunday 21 June 2009 23:13 : \____

>> Mine doesn't. It provides a nice clean and simple interface. I've
>> been using it for years. I wouldn't even know what the inside of my
>> local branch looks like, these days.
>
> Netwest assumed keyloggers are installed.

[quote]
Payment Processor Breach May Be Largest Ever

A data breach last year at Princeton, N.J., payment processor Heartland
Payment Systems may have compromised tens of millions of credit and
debit card transactions, the company said today.

If accurate, such figures may make the Heartland incident one of the
largest data breaches ever reported.

Heartland called U.S. Secret Service and hired two breach forensics
teams to investigate. But Baldwin said it wasn't until last week that
investigators uncovered the source of the breach: A piece of malicious
software planted on the company's payment processing network that
recorded payment card data as it was being sent for processing to
Heartland by thousands of the company's retail clients.

Baldwin said Heartland does not know how long the malicious software was
in place, how it got there or how many accounts may have been
compromised. The stolen data includes names, credit and debit card
numbers and expiration dates.

The Heartland disclosure follows a year of similar breach disclosures at
several major U.S. cards processors. On December 23, RBS Worldpay, a
subsidiary of Citizens Financial Group Inc., said a breach of its
payment systems may have affected more than 1.5 million people.

In March 2008, Hannaford Brothers Co. disclosed that a breach of its
payment systems -- also aided by malicious software -- compromised at
least 4.2 million credit and debit card accounts.

In early 2007, TJX Companies Inc., the parent of retailers Marshalls and
TJ Maxx said a number of breaches over a three-year period exposed more
than 45 million credit and debit card numbers.

In 2005, a breach at payment card processor CardSystems Solutions
jeopardized roughly 40 million credit and debit card accounts.
[/quote]

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/01/payment_processor_breach_may_b.html

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 05:57:04 up 24 days,  9:55,  4 users,  load average: 8.90, 8.73, 7.63