[News] Lawmaker Wants to Block Tiered Web with New Law

Lawmaker Unveils Anti-Metered Billing Law

,----[ Quote ]
| Prompted by Time Warner Cable's botched attempt to force low caps and metered
| billing on its customers, Rep. Eric Massa (D-N.Y.) today unveiled
| the "Broadband Internet Fairness Act" (HR 2902), legislation aimed at
| protecting consumers from unreasonable broadband overage charges. Massa,
| prompted by consumer complaints, stepped up during the Time Warner Cable
| kerfuffle to call the effort an "outrageous, job killing initiative."
`----

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/102996

Recent:

BT Throttling Online Video For Competitive, Not Congestion, Reasons

,----[ Quote ]
| Case in point? BT. The British telco is starting to heavily throttle all
| video -- especially the BBC's online video player. This is the same BT, by
| the way, that just two years ago was saying there was no need to traffic
| shape or break net neutrality, and that it could handle all traffic issues
| with basic upgrades. So what happened? Well, it appears BT didn't like the
| competition from online video providers, so it decided to pretend it needed
| to do this for congestion purposes.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090612/1805215218.shtml

Bell Canada Shuts Down Crappy Video Store That No One Used... But It's Still
Throttling

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently, it took all of a year for Bell Canada to realize that it wasn't
| getting any use whatsoever, and Joe McEnaney points out that Bell Canada has
| quietly shut down the site... though, it's still throttling traffic from
| resellers. Maybe, next time, instead of trying to limit competitors and offer
| something crappy, Bell could spend its resources investing in bandwidth. That
| would have made everyone a lot happier.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090615/0314585235.shtml

Cable group turns net neutrality around over ISP access fees

,----[ Quote ]
| Small cable operators say they worried about content providers charging
| ISPs "discriminatory" access fees, which they say Disney does with
| ESPN360.com. They want the FCC to stop the practice before it spreads,
| turning the arguments about net neutrality in the other direction.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/cable-group-turns-net-neutrality-around-over-isp-access-fees.ars

CDT Confident Next FCC Chair Recognizes Importance of Open Internet Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| WASHINGTON -- According to news reports, President-elect Barack Obama will
| soon name Julius Genachowski to head the Federal Communications Commission.
`----

http://www.cdt.org/press/20090112press.php

Kevin Martin Opposes Regulating Internet Content?

,----[ Quote ]
| A significant part of FCC Chairman Kevin Martin's legacy will be the moves he
| made -- and tried to make -- to crack down on indecency while he was in
| power. The FCC went after TV broadcasters with much more vigor than under
| previous leaders, trying to impose big fines for "indecent" content, many of
| which got smacked down later by courts. Martin himself was a major advocate
| of a la carte cable plans, in which consumers could simply pay for individual
| channels, rather than bundles.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090112/0811433374.shtml

WSJ Accuses Google of Abandoning Net Neutrality: Reality Check

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wall Street Journal specifically attacks Google's OpenEdge project as a
| means by which Google can have its own content given bandwidth priority over
| other web sites. Before we go into a terrified panic that Google is
| abandoning Net neutrality for its own nefarious purposes, how about we look
| at what OpenEdge actually does.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155498/Neutrality.html?tk=rss_news

Indian Court Wants To Ban Google Earth In The Wake Of Mumbai Attacks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081210/0318383073.shtml