Re: [News] Microsoft Should be Shakin'... Watch This ARM-based Notebook (Linux)

____/ Jerry McBride on Monday 15 June 2009 01:24 : \____

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/12339/eee_pc_spotted_running_android_qualcomm_1ghz_cpu/

> That's really neat. Would vista or 7 be able to run on that light of  a
> platform and play videos at the same time???

SJVN tried this with an Intel chip and it hardly did YouTube without getting
laggy. Also see:

Why Windows 7 Will Fail on Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| When consumers have a choice and know it, they’re not going to blindly
| embrace whichever pricing schemes Microsoft decides to impose on the market.
| Rather than paying for Windows 7 Home Premium–which is likely to cost as much
| as a netbook itself–costumers will simply opt for Linux.
|
| Neither will hardware manufacturers obediently acquiesce to Microsoft’s
| demands as they did in the past.  If they find it difficult to sell netbooks
| whose price is doubled by being bundled with Windows, OEMs are likely to
| market Linux-based computers more vigorously–which will, in turn, increase
| public awareness of alternatives to Windows, fueling a cycle that ends with
| the collapse of Microsoft’s monopoly.
|
| If Microsoft continues to operate under the delusion that consumers will
| choose Windows simply because they don’t know there’s an alternative that’s
| been embraced by mainstream users and hardware manufacturers, it’s in for a
| painful shock.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/05/29/why-windows-7-will-fail-on-netbooks/

Linux To Regain 50% Netbook Market Share

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm sure some will dismiss Mr. Lim's projections as self-serving since Linpus
| is a Linux distributor heavily invested in the netbook market. It turns out
| Mr. Lim isn't alone in seeing Linux equal or even overtake Windows on
| netbooks. ABI Research sees it happening but they see it taking a bit longer
| than a year. They see Linux regaining dominance on netbooks by 2012. ABI
| cites the arrival of low-end ARM-based netbooks as part of the reason for a
| Linux resurgence. They also cite the arrival of Linux distributions designed
| for mobile devices, particularly Android and Moblin. Windows doesn't run on
| ARM processor based systems.
|
| While ARM has been getting lots of notice in the tech press a Spanish company
| called iUnika announced the first netbook with a MIPS processor (pictured).
| Linux already runs on MIPS processors. The support dates back to MIPS-powered
| SGI workstations running Linux back in the '90s. Windows, on the other hand,
| doesn't run on MIPS powered systems.
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/05/linux-to-regain-50-netbook-mar.html

Microsoft’s Windows 7 May Not Cure Netbook Headache

,----[ Quote ]
| This time, as Microsoft readies Windows 7, the company is planning a basic
| version, as well as more expensive editions that are also targeted at
| netbooks. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said last week that he will make sure
| consumers can “trade up.”
|
| ‘Pessimistic’
|
| Many netbook buyers won’t go for it, because they want the cheapest option
| possible, said John DiFucci, the JPMorgan Chase & Co. analyst who asked the
| question that prompted Ballmer’s comment. That means investors shouldn’t
| expect Microsoft to make much more money on netbook software, the New
| York-based analyst said in a note to clients. Microsoft hasn’t released
| specific prices for the different versions of Windows 7.
|
| “I don’t know that there’s much room to charge more than what’s been charged
| currently,” said Michael Cherry, an analyst at Directions on Microsoft in
| Kirkland, Washington. “I’m pessimistic about this.”
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=ahmXCOAixVMw&refer=us

Microsoft looking for Moore's Law to save Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| The jury is in about the performance of Windows 7 RC on netbook computers -
| it's as slow as a wet week. For Microsoft the "great white hope" is now
| Moore's Law. Will new entry level netbooks be powerful enough to prevent
| Redmond's second white elephant in a row?
|
| What is becoming increasingly clear is that Windows 7 is merely an attempt at
| damage control after Microsoft's monumental misreading of the market with
| resources hungry Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| The danger for Microsoft is that the challenges are coming thick and fast
| from all sides on the Linux front. Aside from Android and Ubuntu Remix, Intel
| has released its own Linux distro desgned specifically for Atom powered
| netbooks, Moblin 2.0.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25268/1023/

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"My place of work has certainly heard of karoshi.
They think it's a good idea." -- Dave Brown
Swap:  4088500k total,   417880k used,  3670620k free,   264040k cached