[News] Free Software-oriented Businesses/Entities Top the Charts

Two Indiana Entities Top CIO 100 List

,----[ Quote ]
| University was recognized among the top 100 organizations in the nation by
| CIO magazine for its leadership in new software development models for higher
| education. The 22nd CIO 100 Awards recognized the IU Office of the Vice
| President for Information Technology (OVPIT) for its leadership in developing
| open source software with dozens of colleges, universities, and commercial
| partners.
`----

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=35964

Open ERP Open Source Management Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| Information Systems have played an increasingly visible role over the past
| several years in improving the competitiveness of business. Integrated
| management software is today very often a key source of significant
| competitive advantage. Risks and integration costs are important barriers to
| all the advantages you gain from such systems. That’s why, today, few small-
| and medium-sized companies use ERP.
`----

http://erp.ulitzer.com/node/985640/print

Recent:

Department of Homeland Security and University of Southern Mississippi launch
Homeland Open Security Technology Program

,----[ Quote ]
| The HOST program is a collaborative effort involving DHS, Southern Miss, the
| Department of the Navy and the Open Source Software Institute (OSSI) and is
| designed to facilitate the continued adoption of Open Technology Solutions
| (OTS) within U.S. Government IT systems. DHS and the Navy's Space and Naval
| Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) in San Diego will invest $1.5 million in the
| HOST program to be administered by The University of Southern Mississippi and
| coordinated by the Open Source Software Institute.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11421.html

IU hailed as IT pioneer in CIO 100 Awards

,----[ Quote ]
| "In 2003, IU set a strategy to begin building some of its essential systems
| by pooling resources with other institutions," said Wheeler. "We saw that the
| Internet could reduce coordination costs of working together. The sharing of
| open source application software could deliver essential features while
| reducing year-to-year costs, and avoid the future risks of large licensing
| fees and escalating maintenance costs."
`----

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/11043.html

Indiana U offers open source digital music library software

,----[ Quote ]