[News] GNU/Linux and Free Software Promoted Using MAFIAA's Daemonisation Terms

Pirated software not worth the risk

,----[ Quote ]
| This is where open source software offers an attractive option as it is legal
| and affordable.
|
| Copy? Go right ahead
|
| Unlike proprietary software, users are encouraged to use, study, copy, modify
| and re-distribute open source programs.
|
| The software can be legally used on any number of computers with no
| restrictions.
|
| In practical terms, this means users do not have to pay licensing fees for
| each and every user and program used.
|
| For businesses that want to use open source programs, they should buy those
| which come with comprehensive support for customisation and assistance in
| installing new programs or security patches for new security threats.
|
| Linux is one open source software used as an operating system. Many companies
| offer different versions to suit different needs.
|
| Linux is also available as a subscription service, which means that business
| users subscribe to a comprehensive range of services and product updates.
`----

http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/Features/Story/A1Story20090605-146457.html

Recent:

Is The BSA Purposely Promoting Open Source Alternatives?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, what is the BSA doing? Yes, that's right, it's pumping up its software
| audit program, sending 1,000 audit letters to companies in London, officially
| demanding they detail their software usage -- while unofficially acting as a
| tremendous advertisement for open source software, where providers don't
| treat their customers as if they were criminals.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090602/2302305104.shtml

How many billions is open-source software worth?

,----[ Quote ]
| In other words, using OSS isn't about being anti-Microsoft or believing in
| some sort of open-source ethical rightfulness, using OSS is simply a smart
| business move. Indeed, at $387-billion in value, OSS is twice as valuable as
| Microsoft's current net worth of $183.5-billion. Not bad for 'free software'
| is it?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/how_many_billions_is_open_source_software_worth

BSA's Canadian Piracy Numbers Based On Hunches, Not Actual Surveys

,----[ Quote ]
| The Conference Board of Canada that was basically a cut and paste from
| various industry groups, Geist noticed that the report relied on some BSA
| data. So he asked for more info on how the BSA determined the "piracy" rate
| of software in Canada. How many people were surveyed? What was the
| methodology?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090527/1125035034.shtml

BSA Releases BS Numbers Yet Again, Then Says Don't Pay Attention To The
Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, it's the middle of May, and that means (like clockwork) the Business
| Software Alliance (BSA) and IDC have come out with their annual bogus numbers
| about software "piracy." They do this every year, despite the fact that their
| numbers have been totally and completely debunked for years. Last year, they
| were kind enough to call to discuss my concerns, but stood by the idea that
| every unauthorized copy can be reasonably counted as a lost sale.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090512/1922584854.shtml

Aargh! Walk the plank ye scurvy dogs!

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Channel Insider the Business Software Alliance and IDC report
| that software piracy in 2008 cost over $50 billion in lost direct sales and
| $150 to $200 billion in lost service and support.
|
| No analysis is offered as to whether the alleged pirates could have paid for
| licensed copies of the software in question had they chosen to. Nor is it
| explained why users of properly licensed software would have required $150 to
| $200 billion in additional service and support while the pirates manage to do
| without. Rugged, self-sufficient folks those pirates, I suppose.
`----

http://bringcookies.wordpress.com/2009/05/13/aargh-walk-the-plank-ye-scurvy-dogs/

The true cost of software piracy revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| OK, let's forget the spin put on the piracy problem by the usual industry
| suspects. By which I mean the suggestion that the true cost of piracy is that
| it helps fund terrorists.
|
| That is just silly nonsense, FUD designed to confuse rather than clarify what
| has become a growing problem.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24982/1054/

Related: