Re: Possible Record for Java Programming, New GNU Utilities from CodeSourcery

On 2009-06-09, wispygalaxy <wispygalaxy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jun 6, 3:38 am, Gregory Shearman <ZekeGreg...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I don't need many comments in perl code. You *can* write it in a way to
>> be self-explanatory.
>
> That's a relief.  :)  I guess I was being too chicken about it...
>
>> Hmmm... I've written a number of extensions in C that utilise
>> Postgresql's Server Programming Interface. I don't fancy moving to
>> another database and redesigning the wheel.
>
> I'd find it a pain if I had to redo things after moving to another
> database.

Well, you *can* dump the info and install it into the new database easy
enough, thanks to the standardisation of SQL. It's the extensions that
get you.

Perl's Pg module is not yet available for Postgres 8.1 so I've just
finished changing a number of perl database scripts over to the Perl DBI
module. Thanks to the consistent style in which I've written my Perl
scripts, this was a very easy task.

--
Regards,

Gregory.