Re: [News] Mono is a Disaster, OpenSUSE Drifts Further Away from Novell

  • Subject: Re: [News] Mono is a Disaster, OpenSUSE Drifts Further Away from Novell
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 14:08:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Verily I say unto thee, that Sinister Midget III spake thusly:
> On 2009-06-06, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>
>> How GNU/Linux users can keep Mono at bay
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | GNU/Linux users who want to keep Mono off their systems can now
>> | use an application that warns them when elements of the open
>> | source clone of Microsoft's .NET development environment are
>> | being installed.
>> |
>> | Developer Tim Chase, who describes himself as "a genetic geek",
>> | has created a package called Mononono which creates explicit
>> | conflicts with core Mono packages.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25352/1090/

Excellent!

It's about time something like this was available - I should package
this in RPM format for BLAG. Actually there's not much to it, I simply
need to create a meta (dummy) package which "Conflicts: mono-core". In
fact, just to be sure the package manager picks up this package in
preference to mono-core, I should have a spec like this:

Conflicts: mono-core
Obsoletes: mono-core
Provides: mononono
[...]
%files
%doc %_docdir/%{name}/readme

The "Provides" is important, because that way RPM will know that
Mono-dependent packages cannot be satisfied by this meta-package, and
yet mono-core cannot be installed either because of the "Conflicts",
whilst the "Obsoletes" will ensure that existing Mono packages are
purged. Of course, the installer (root) will have to agree to all this,
before it can happen (unlike Windows Stealthware).

> Now *THAT'S* the type of thing I've been looking for. When I tried to
> install it I was informed a mono file was installed that blocked it.
> And I found it as it said. Not sure how that got in there because I
> specifically removed everything mono-related once already.
>
> This morning I found silverlight installed on Firefox. I never
> installed it. I never authorized installation of it. But when I
> looked I found the moonlight-plugin was installed. I dumped it.

This is exactly the sort of nonsense people can start to expect, once
the diseased paradigm of the Microsoft Way® starts infecting the Free
Software installed on their systems.

They'll find unwanted software being installed by stealth, updating
/other/ packages which it has no business doing, modifying system and
user settings without consent or even warning, causing incompatibilities
and odd behaviour which seems mysterious and unaccountable, creeping
bloat in terms of both disk usage and memory utilisation, their systems
becoming inexplicably slower over time due to increased CPU utilisation,
finally culminating in the inevitable "need" to reboot for even trivial
reasons, the rampant spread of viruses and other malware, and both
hardware (drivers) and software that becomes utterly dysfunctional over
time, destroying the industry grade maintainability of GNU/Linux until
WipeNReinstall® becomes users' only repair option - just like Windows.

And for the "privilege" of having Free Software perverted by this junk,
it will be encumbered by Microsoft's Intellectual Monopoly, which they
will eventually leverage as a weapon against Free Software to control
and/or destroy it.

Thank you Miguel de Icaza.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 14:07:43 up 8 days, 18:05,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00