Re: [News] Copyrights Cartel Made Roadkill by the Internet

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> YouTube's Big Traffic Stick Forces PRS To Slash UK Streaming Royalty Rate
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As Mike pointed out at the time, "Google is making the point to PRS: you
> | need us much more than we need you." It looks like that point's been
> | made, as the PRS last week cut its streaming royalty rates by more than
> | half, and is now basically begging YouTube to remove the block, since

Only half? They were asking for quad price hike! Its still leaves it
as double price hike!! Youtube should leave the block in place and
only play ball to inflation related hikes ONLY.
Otherwise, there will be a million other idiots wanting royalty
hikes come knocking on the door.

> | the site was at one point responsible for 40 percent of PRS' online
> | plays. It looks like maybe the PRS is beginning to understand that
> | without useful distribution (like that provided by YouTube), its
> | members' content loses a lot of value, and that in turn, moves it makes
> | to hamper distribution (like high royalty rates) actually serve to
> | destroy value, not deliver it.

> http://techdirt.com/articles/20090601/1120365085.shtml
>
> Napster: Ex RIAA boss rues lost opportunity
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Instead, the RIAA's litigation helped drive P2P underground - where it
> | became entrenched, and harder to monetise.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/02/rosen_on_napster/
>
> Downloading 3322 Copyrighted Movies is Okay in Spain
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In Spain, a judge has dismissed a case against a man who downloaded and
> | shared 3322 copyrighted movies on the Internet. Despite efforts from
> | local anti-piracy outfits, the legal system in Spain continues to stand
> | firmly behind those who share music and movies without financial gain.
> `----
>
> http://torrentfreak.com/downloading-3322-movies-is-okay-in-spain-090529/
>
> OK, this is just weird...
>

> Recent:
>
> Napster: 10 today, had it survived
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Because Napster II is the disinterred corpse of the former P2P file
> | sharing application which lurches from financial crisis to financial
> | crisis.
> |
> | Napster ? the original, that is ? was built by Shawn Fanning and, had
> | the corporate music dinosaurs been able to extract their heads from
> | their anal orifices, they and Fanning would be bathing in endless
> | streams of cash, and it would now be 10 years old.
> `----
>
> http://www.p2pnet.net/story/22530
>

> Recent:
>
> Former RIAA Lawyer At DOJ Will Only Avoid RIAA Issues For A Year
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Plenty of folks have noted that the Justice Department has been the
> | landing place for a number of RIAA lawyers. Some have suggested not to
> | get too worked up about this, given that the Obama administration's
> | ethics rules supposedly forbade those lawyers from being involved in
> | issues related to their former work.
> `----
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20090501/0209474714.shtml
>

> Obama Names Craig Mundie to Sci-Tech Advisory Council
>
> http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2009/04/27
obama-names-craig-mundie-to-sci-tech-advisory-council.aspx

> Joe Biden promises a blank check to the entertainment cartel
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | VP Joe Biden stood up in front of a bunch of Hollywood execs and
> | promised to appoint a copyright czar, and furthermore, that this would
> | be the "right" person to protect their interests. I would have voted Dem
> | in the last election, if I got a vote, but make no mistakes: the Dems
> | are the party of stupid copyright laws.
> `----
>
> http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/22/joe-biden-promises-a.html
>

> Administration Lobbyist Ban Not Doing What It's Supposed To Do
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | We've already seen how the Justice Department is, for example, being
> | filled with lawyers who regularly worked with the RIAA, MPAA and BSA --
> | three of the biggest copyright lobbying organizations, and those
> | individuals have wasted no time in expressing their desire to continue
> | pushing those industry's viewpoints in their new positions.
> `----
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20090422/0419234608.shtml
>

> Copyright debate heats up over Obama appointments
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The president has, in fact, filled out some high-level Justice
> | Department positions with lawyers favored by the copyright industry,
> | including attorneys who have represented the Recording Industry
> | Association of America and the Business Software Alliance. The
> | signatories of the April 2 letter said the Justice Department's
> | intervention last month in favor of a record label in a file-sharing
> | case heightens their concern.
> `----
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10223549-38.html
>

> Biden promises 'right person' as new U.S. copyright czar
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "It's pure theft, stolen from the artists and quite frankly from the
> | American people as consequence of loss of jobs and as a consequence of
> | loss of income," Biden said, according to a White House pool report.
> `----
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10224689-38.html
>

> MPAA reaches out to lawmakers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The occasion: the second biennial summit sponsored by the industry's
> | chief lobbying arm, the Motion Picture Assn. of America.
> `----
>
> http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118002688.html?categoryId=18&cs=1
>

> I got you, babe
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Obama is whistling the music industry's tune
> `----
>
> http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/15
i-got-you-babe-obama-is-whistling-the-music-indust/

> Obama Taps 5th RIAA Lawyer to Justice Dept.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | President Barack Obama is tapping another RIAA attorney into the Justice
> | Department.
> |
> | Monday's naming of Ian Gershengorn, to become the department's deputy
> | assistant attorney of the Civil Division, comes more than a week after
> | nearly two-dozen public interest groups, trade pacts and library
> | coalitions urged the new president to quit filling his administration
> | with lawyers plucked from the Recording Industry Association of America.
> |
> | The move makes it five RIAA lawyers Obama has appointed to the Justice
> | Department.
> `----
>
> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/04/obama-taps-fift.html
>

> Obama administration sides with RIAA in P2P suit
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Obama administration has sided with the recording industry in a
> | copyright lawsuit against an alleged peer-to-peer pirate, a move that
> | echoes arguments previously made by the Bush administration.
> `----
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10201831-38.html
>

> Obama Sides With RIAA, Supports $150,000 Fine per Music Track
>
> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/03/obama-sides-wit.html
>

> U.S. Sides with RIAA in Filesharing Case
>
> http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/legal_blog_watch/2009/03
us-sides-with-riaa-in-filesharing-case.html