Re: My recent trip to the superstore to look at netbooks

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Terry Porter on Thursday 04 June 2009 07:48 : \____
>

>> I only needed lever arch files and paper, but decided to browse the
>> netbook/notebook isles.
>>
>> Where the Linux netbooks once proudly sat, with price tags from $375 to
>> $450, there is now nothing but Windows and prices start at $575 for a
>> discontinued 9" dell running Windows.
>>
>> Not one single unit had a SSD.
>>
>> I can buy the following DEll 10.1" netbook for $424 delivered in
>> Australia from Dell online. This 'superstore' from which I have
>> previously bought two Acer Aspire 110s, is unlikely to ever get any money
>> from me again for netbooks.
>>
>> My Components
>> (PRODUCT) RED ?
>> 1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service
>> 16GB Solid State Drive
>> 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)
>> Wireless 802.11g/n (1510) Mini Card
>> My Accessories
>> Also Includes
>> Inspiron Mini 10v
>> UBUNTU 8.04 (Standard Edition)
>> Intel® Atom Processor® N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache)
>> 10.1" Widescreen Display (1024x576)
>> Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
>> 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
>> Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
>>
>> price: $424
>>

>> In no time a salesman approached me, offering his help.
>>
>> I said it's a shame that there were no Linux netbooks any more, and he
>> replied 'but these are the top-of-the-line netbooks'.
>>
>> My withering reply stopped him in his tracks, when I informed him that
>> no, Windows was not 'top of the line, but a piece of abject junk', and
>> not fit for use on a computer.
>>
>> These people aren't used to dealing with anyone who actually has a good
>> working knowledge of tech gear.
>>
>> They are used to clueless sheeple buying their sales talk.
>
> Microsoft is trying to elevate the cost and lower the battery life of
> Netbooks, but it won't work. The ARMs are coming.

May be the PC industry saw the possibility of micoshaft / intel$ axle of
evil churning and pushing up the prices again and starving retailers of
freely flowing revenue - so they went with ARM as a strategic replacment.
To push the button further, the PC industry should move to ARM desktops
for the mass market. That would set the cat among the pidgeons.