Re: My recent trip to the superstore to look at netbooks

____/ Terry Porter on Thursday 04 June 2009 07:48 : \____

> I only needed lever arch files and paper, but decided to browse the
> netbook/notebook isles.
>
> Where the Linux netbooks once proudly sat, with price tags from $375 to
> $450, there is now nothing but Windows and prices start at $575 for a
> discontinued 9" dell running Windows.
>
> Not one single unit had a SSD.
>
> I can buy the following DEll 10.1" netbook for $424 delivered in Australia
> from Dell online. This 'superstore' from which I have previously bought two
> Acer Aspire 110s, is unlikely to ever get any money from me again for
> netbooks.
>
> My Components
> (PRODUCT) RED ?
> 1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service
> 16GB Solid State Drive
> 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)
> Wireless 802.11g/n (1510) Mini Card
> My Accessories
> Also Includes
> Inspiron Mini 10v
> UBUNTU 8.04 (Standard Edition)
> Intel® Atom Processor® N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache)
> 10.1" Widescreen Display (1024x576)
> Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
> 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
> Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
>
> price: $424
>

> In no time a salesman approached me, offering his help.
>
> I said it's a shame that there were no Linux netbooks any more, and he
> replied 'but these are the top-of-the-line netbooks'.
>
> My withering reply stopped him in his tracks, when I informed him that no,
> Windows was not 'top of the line, but a piece of abject junk', and not fit
> for use on a computer.
>
> These people aren't used to dealing with anyone who actually has a good
> working knowledge of tech gear.
>
> They are used to clueless sheeple buying their sales talk.

Microsoft is trying to elevate the cost and lower the battery life of Netbooks,
but it won't work. The ARMs are coming.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie