[News] Governments and Free Software Being Wed

Pursuing Government RFPs: A How-To Guide for Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| As they make software and hardware purchases, governments are creatures of
| habit.
|
| They form long relationships with IT vendors and stick with them so they can
| keep their IT systems running with minimal interruptions.
|
| And while new technologies might be intriguing, governments often shy away
| from major IT changes because they have little willingness to take even the
| slightest risks of introducing a glitch into their infrastructures. So they
| stay with the companies and technologies they know as they undergo their
| traditional Request for Proposal (RFP) contract bidding and acquisition
| procedures.
`----

http://linux.com/news/enterprise/case-studies/15212-pursuing-government-rfps-a-how-to-guide-for-open-source

US Open Government Dialogue

,----[ Quote ]
| One suggestion that I find particularly appealing is “Mandate open formats in
| all government formats.” This topic will be well understood ground for those
| who have supported ODF over the last few years. I urge you to contribute
| constructively to the discussion.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=3645

Recent:

Spanish Government Reconsiders School Laptop Project

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/spanish_government_reconsiders_school_laptop_project