[News] What if Google Entered the Desktop Arena?

Should Linux and Android Fuse?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's hard not to be ambivalent about Android if you're a fan of Linux.
| Android is free and open source (mostly, I think) and it's got a lot of
| momentum building behind it. Cool, right? On the other hand, it's not really
| a Linux distro in any traditional sense even though it uses a Linux kernel.
| It would be one thing if it were purely a smartphone OS, but it's
| increasingly looking like it will be a netbook and maybe, therefore, even a
| full desktop OS. A lot of people will probably find that a netbook and a
| smartphone are really all they need anyway, along with their TV and maybe a
| docking station at home with a large LCD. That's a very plausible scenario to
| me when people get used to netbooks and the things inevitably become more
| powerful. And having the same OS on all these devices may be a really slick
| thing. In this light, Android may prove to be an irresistable force.
`----

http://ubuntulinuxologisms.blogspot.com/

Recent:

Google Kicks Off Android Developer Challenge Part Deux

,----[ Quote ]
| In an effort to continue fostering the Android development community, Google
| has announced the second round of its Android Developer Challenge - a
| competition that rewards some of the platform’s best applications with large
| cash grants.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/27/google-kicks-off-android-developer-challenge-part-deux/

Android-based PMP to ship in October

,----[ Quote ]
| GiiNii will ship its Android-based portable media player (PMP) and digital
| picture frame (DPF) in October and January, respectively, according to a
| spokesperson. The Movit Mini portable and larger Movit Maxx DPF include
| touchscreens, WiFi, a webcam, and optional Bluetooth, says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3193160405.html?kc=rss

Android 1.5 Released

,----[ Quote ]