[News] Cataloging of GNU/Linux Desktop Applications to Improve

Screen shots in the package manager

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve been doing some thinking about what would make Mandriva stand out and
| also what could help Linux distributions in general.   I think that although
| rpmdrake is pretty good, it has room for improvement.   Two features I am
| thinking of are screenshots of packages that are graphical and ways for end
| users to provide feedback about packages.
`----

http://blog.linuxbox.co.nz/2009/06/screen-shots-in-package-manager.html

It's already coming along.

Recent:

Why Linux Does Not Need A Unified Package Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| To me this is a very simple question to answer. Linux does not need a unified
| package manager when the source to the application you are using is available
| for you to compile on your own. Make your own package.
|
| “Now Dann,” you might say: “Surely you do not mean for generic desktop user
| Joe to compile his own software?” To that I reply: “If not him or her, then
| surely there is someone else in the community willing to help him or her
| out.”
`----

http://www.thelinuxlink.net/myblog/?p=203

Linux For The Masses: A Universal Package Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, there's one way it could happen. The Linux Foundation could start
| the ball rolling on it. After all, one of their prime directives is
| standardization. A UPM is one step toward that goal and a darn fine one at
| that.

NixOS: A Distro Focused on Next-Generation Package Management

,----[ Quote ]
| NixOS is not about to challenge Ubuntu or Fedora as a desktop distribution
| any time soon. But, then, user-friendliness is not its point. Originally
| developed by Eelco Dolstra as a doctoral project at Utrecht University, and
| now developed by a small team at Delft University of Technology in the
| Netherlands, NixOS is designed as a test of Nix, a new package manager
| designed to overcome key problems with existing package managers. As a
| result, what you think of NixOS is likely to depend largely on your interest
| in package management.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6654/1/

Package management

,----[ Quote ]
| Those are some of the package managers out there. I hope you can see the
| differences between them after reading this. The early package managers were
| collections of simple install, remove and update routines. While APT was
| eventually developed to be very feature-rich, third-party package managers
| for Slackware Linux are mostly simple programs that add dependency resolution
| and one or two other features. RPM was an evolution of the package manager
| closer to a complete package management system. It added features like
| dependency checking, tracking, automatic installation and checksum
| verification.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080630#feature

Do we really need another packaging system?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://loupgaroublond.blogspot.com/2008/06/do-we-really-need-another-packaging.html
http://tinyurl.com/5rkf8h