[News] More Custom-made GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Arriving

Are there not enough netbooks in the world?

,----[ Quote ]
| his “standardization” has left PC makers to differentiate their offerings
| mostly through price, the operating system used (the sexy-and-sleek HP Mini
| 1000 Mi generated excellent buzz by offering a highly customized and
| über-slick Ubuntu Linux experience that, alas, remains unavailable to the
| Filipino market), and, of course, cosmetic details (the unbelievably slim
| Sony Vaio P series, which the company refuses to call a netbook).
`----

http://businessmirror.com.ph/home/life/11163-are-there-not-enough-netbooks-in-the-world.html

Custom-made servers:

Linux: Lean on Me

,----[ Quote ]
| I received a newsletter from rPath concerning Lean IT and it occurred to me
| that Linux is the keystone in each one of the elements listed in it:
| Virtualization, Cloud Computing and Cost reduction mandates. As more
| businesses work toward saving money, they'll look for ways to save on IT
| infrastructure (Hardware), labor and external services.
|
| All of those cost-cutting changes point suspiciously to Linux.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry4405.html#

Recent:

CentOS 5.3 Has Keen Focus on Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| CentOS is based on Red Hat's Enterprise Linux source packages and shares in
| recent RHEL virtualization, application development, security and storage
| improvements. Many of the enhancements in CentOS 5.3 come in the area of
| virtualization, targeted largely at scalability on large host machines.
|
| CentOS, the popular community-supported clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
| reached Version 5.3 in March, some three months after its parent
| distribution, RHEL 5.3, began shipping.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/CentOS-53-Has-Keen-Focus-on-Virtualization-183853/

rPath CTO and Founder Erik Troan on the Future of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Simplifying things greatly, Linux and Apache came along and shifted the focus
| of open source development towards production applications. Of course, Linux
| is now used by companies of all shapes and sizes for mission critical
| applications. The Apache web server is used by, well, basically everyone to
| make the web work. Those projects, and others which complete open source
| operating systems, have transformed how companies procure, deploy, and manage
| production infrastructure.
|
| Now that Linux and its related projects have become so standard, an
| interesting change is occurring: More and more open source projects are once
| again targeting developers.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/rpath-cto-and-founder-erik-troan-on-the-future-of-open-source

rPath Expands Multi Operating System Support with Ubuntu, CentOS

,----[ Quote ]
| rPath today announced support for the Ubuntu and CentOS Linux operating
| systems as part of rBuilder and the rPath Lifecycle Management Platform.
| rBuilder is the category-defining build and release management system for
| creating virtual appliances and application images. The rPath Lifecycle
| Management Platform extends rBuilder with a comprehensive system for
| controlling the cost, complexity and risk of deploying, managing and
| maintaining application images in virtualized and cloud-based environments
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/rPath-Expands-Multi-Operating-System/story.aspx?guid=%7BD8C28EEC-70EE-4DD5-9EF4-6FA7E7F9E94E%7D

rPath Linux 2 available

,----[ Quote ]
| rPath would like to thank everyone who helped test the software that has
| become rPath Linux 2. Special thanks go to Foresight Linux for building
| Foresight Linux 2 based on rPath Linux 2 betas. Conary made it possible for
| the Foresight developers to test the software on Foresight development and QA
| branches before publishing updates tested as part of Foresight to Foresight
| users.
`----

http://blogs.conary.com/index.php/conarynews/2008/05/16/rpath_linux_2_available

Related: