Re: MAFIAA Attacks Children, Professor Accuses MAFIAA of Abusing the Law

Verily I say unto thee, that unionpenny@xxxxxxxxx spake thusly:
> On May 31, 9:03 pm, "DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Copyrighted songs and software and movies are ideas and expressions
>> of ideas and are the private property of the creator.

According to the law, yes, but then the /law/ is morally wrong. It even
admits as much, otherwise it would not concede that such "protections"
should be for a limited time only - they'd be permanent.

Perhaps you'd care to explain how something can be deemed to be
someone's "property" for a /limited time only/, then forcibly removed
from them, for no other reason than the passage of time, if that
"something" is indeed any type of /real/ property?

The fact is that /knowledge/ is /nobody's/ "property" ... it's the
cumulative works of all mankind. Listen to any song ... it's just
elements of other songs which have come before - some more obviously so
than others. The same can be said of films, books, so-called inventions,
or any other "creation". In fact there has only ever been /one/ creator
... everything else is nothing more than a remix at best, and simple
observation at worst.

The idea that any published knowledge can be claimed as exclusive
property is perverse, not only because of the obvious fact that it must
either be a derivative work (knowledge does not simply appear in
someone's mind from nowhere, it must be acquired) or a simple
observation, but also because there is no way to prove originality
without first consulting with every person in the world, living or dead.
Not all ideas are /published/, since not everyone has either the means
nor the will to do so.

So the premise of Intellectual Monopoly has nothing whatsoever to do
with /creation/, but is instead just about /registration/ (e.g. like
gold prospectors staking a claim), and as such is utterly indefensible.
That's not "proof" of ownership, it's opportunistic theft from the
communal pool of all mankind's knowledge - or more accurately, like
kidnapping a hostage for ransom.

But by far the most sinister aspect of Intellectual Monopoly is the fact
that it asserts ownership and control over others' /minds/, since it
attempts to prohibit and inhibit the dissemination of that which is
readily observable with the senses. To compound this perversion, the
Intellectual Monopolists then have the audacity to demand to be paid
each and every time this knowledge passes from one individual to another
... even to the extent of a group of children singing songs in private.
It's beyond perverse. And this payment has /nothing/ whatsoever to do
with "work", since the work to "create" (i.e. remix) this knowledge
happened precisely /once/, and the /creators/ have already been paid at
least /once/ for their labour.

If a company manufactures a spade, I expect to have to pay for that
spade only /once/, not each and every time I dig a hole with it.

But then a spade, like any other tangible goods, is /real/ property,
unlike this fictitious substance called Intellectual "Property".

The fact that this Intellectual "Property" can be duplicated with
nothing more than the senses, should be enough evidence to prove that it
cannot be any kind of "property" at all. Indeed the fact that this
"property" *is* just a mass duplication of a given single past event,
should be sufficient to convince people that demanding payment for these
facsimiles is profoundly wrong, irrespective of any supposed "proof" of
originality.

> So DFS, does this mean that generally, you're OK with the idea that
> girls singing to themselves around a campfire can be copyright
> pirates?

People like DooFuS probably believe we are morally obligated to pay the
Intellectual Monopolists just for /remembering/ a song, much less
/singing/ it. He's the living embodiment of totalitarian ideals.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 21:30:19 up 6 days,  1:28,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00