[News] Adobe Needs to Open Up, Small Progress Made

A hard look at Adobe

,----[ Quote ]
| The most logical solution to this problem would be for Adobe to allow open
| access to view, modify, and distribute to the code programmers will
| understand used to develop Flash. This strategy would have a multitude of
| benefits for not only consumers and Adobe as a company, but for society as a
| whole. Collectively, consumers would like the best possible experience
| online, and Adobe would like to make as much money as possible. Both of these
| private interests would be stimulated.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2009/05/hard-look-at-adobe.html

AJAX World: Adobe AIR for Linux Alpha Now on Adobe Labs

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) announced that the pre-release alpha
| version of Adobe AIR software for Linux® operating systems is available on
| Adobe Labs (www.adobe.com/go/airlinux). The Linux community of developers can
| now use proven Web technologies, such as HTML, Ajax, Adobe Flash® and Adobe
| Flex® software, to build rich Internet applications (RIAs) that deploy to
| desktops across operating systems. RIA developers can extend the reach of
| their desktop applications on Adobe AIR to Linux users without writing
| additional platform-specific code, providing access to innovative, branded
| desktop applications that were previously only available to Mac and Windows
| users.
`----

http://air.ulitzer.com/node/529648/print

Movial Joins Open Screen Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Movial, the company that inspires rich, intuitive Internet experiences, today
| announced that it will integrate, test, and certify Adobe® Flash® technology
| in embedded mobile environments that utilize ARM based Linux under the Open
| Screen Project, a broad initiative of more than two dozen industry leaders to
| deliver a consistent runtime environment across screens. Today’s announcement
| reflects Adobe and Movial's close working relationship in enabling Flash
| technology on a wide variety of Mobile Linux device environments, including
| netbooks, smartphones and other handheld devices.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090601005558&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/nkvxfj

Related:

Free Flash community reacts to Adobe Open Screen Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Both Otte and Savoye do see some limited good coming out of the Open Screen
| Project. Otte suggests that the growing openness of Adobe might help to
| reduce the reservations in the free software community about working to
| reproduce proprietary technologies, as well as "the general 'flash is evil'
| attitude" that prevails in the community."
|
| Moreover, both Otte and Savoye see the announcement as a hopeful sign. "I
| think Adobe will open up Flash in the end, or at least the Flash player,"
| Otte says.
|
| Savoye expresses the same hope, although he notes that, "I've been told by
| people at Adobe that their Flash player has so many other people's
| intellectual property in it that they can never free up the code." However,
| he adds that examples like Sun's removal of propriety elements from the
| original StarOffice code to produce OpenOffice.org and its current efforts
| with Java indicate that the move is not impossible. "The trick is, are they
| going to make that kind of commitment?" he asks.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/134378

Adobe Drops Licensing Fees, Gives Away Flash For Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Software maker Adobe announced Thursday that it would drop many of the
| licensing requirements attached to its Flash technology, which is used to
| display video and audio content on the web.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/04/adobe-drops-lic.html

Adobe Joins Linux Foundation But Forgets About Flash for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I would hope that Zemlin will encourage Adobe to now treat Linux as a first
| class citizen as opposed to an afterthought for release after Windows.
|
| I hope Zemlin will pressure Adobe to finally actually make Flash -- not just
| the player -- but Flash CS3 Professional, (the core Flash development tool)
| available for Linux as a fully commercially available and supported product.
| It is somewhat ironic in my opinion that Adobe can join the Linux Foundation,
| claim to support Linux and yet not offer its flagship Flash development tool
| on Linux.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/03/adobe-joins-linux-foundation-b.html

For Adobe, a tough lesson in (open-source) diplomacy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybelt/2007/08/for-adobe-a-tou.html