Re: [News] MAFIAA Attacks Children, Professor Accuses MAFIAA of Abusing the Law

DFS wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> When children are not permitted in schools to sing a popular
>> tune for a talent show, girl scouts are not allowed to sing
>> a popular song around a camp fire, and someone with a guitar
>> is not allowed to strum and sing to a popular tune in a
>> gathering larger than a family is simply abuse.
>
> They are allowed, though they might have to pay first.

Why should girl scouts pay a performance licensing fee to sing
their favourite song around the camp fire, when they already have
a legally paid for CD that is in the CD player?  Or if they sing
it acapella from memory?  And that without making a profit?

>> Particularly if a song sounds similar to a professional
>> artist although original and is told to remove it from a
>> non-profit (or profit) blog is abuse.  The whole industry
>> has simply gone mad.
>
> Then starting tomorrow you should announce to your employer
> that you'll be working for free from now on.  You will, right?
> Or are you just "mad"?

Try to keep on topic, you look incredibly stupid with your ad
hominem spiels.

> Copyrighted songs and software and movies are ideas and
> expressions of ideas and are the private property of the
> creator.  Sure, it's politically incorrect and unseemly to
> force Girl Scouts to pay for licenses to sing copyrighted
> songs at their camps, but it's not immoral or illegal.

Says who?  The RIAA?  All of this has suddenly come about when
the copyrights of 50 years were extended to 75 with another 20 in
1998, making it 95 years.  They have lost all common sense.

"Hey, you with the brown beret standing around the camp fire
singing "I Did It Again" acapella, get your hands up!"

The girl scouts were not passing around illegally burned copies
of CD's.

> My guess is the problem ASCAP has with giving them exceptions
> - which they did, you're uninformed as usual -

More ad hominem ....

> is it invites legal challenges from other groups who claim
> they should be excepted as well.

Nonsense.  That argument in essence is like "we discontinued
certain OTC medications because meth houses use them to make
illegal drugs" (which has happened already in US.)

--
HPT