[News] [Rival] Big XBox 360 Disasters Resume as Microsoft Loses Over $5,000,000,000

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Big XBox 360 Disasters Resume as Microsoft Loses Over $5,000,000,000
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 02:17:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Are Xbox 360's E74 Failure's The New RRoD?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to polls conducted by Joystiq and Engagdet, E74 failures on Xbox
| 360's is on the rise. Joystiq asked readers to send in emails with reports of
| the failure, and recieved an overwhelming number of responses to their call.
| For those that aren't acquainted with the dreaded E74 failure, it's a problem
| that occurs when there is an AV cable error. On the surface anyway, because
| if the cable is still in working order (which it usually is) then it's a
| scaler chip problem, directly involving the ANA/HANA chip which is connected
| to the AV cable; or in some cases it's the GPU.
`----

http://www.talkxbox.com/article3097.html

comments:

Increase In Xbox 360 E74 Problems

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/23/0337244

New Xbox 360 Hardware Failures Being Reported in Significant Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Xbox 360 failures are on the rise since the launch of the New Xbox Experience
|
| A known Xbox 360 hardware issue is beginning to surface in significant
| numbers recently based on research conducted by video game site Joystiq.
| Tentatively called the Xbox 360 E74 error, one of the lights on the “Ring of
| Lights” on the front of your Xbox 360 console flashes red and you receive the
| error code and message: "E74. System Error. Contact Xbox Customer Support".
| The symptoms involve the bottom right portion of the indicator ring
| repeatedly flashing on and off and lines or snow will become visible across
the screen.
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/New+Xbox+360+Hardware+Failures+Being+Reported+in+Significant+Numbers/article14662.htm

Microsoft Wants You to Pay for E74 Repairs on Xbox 360s over a year old

,----[ Quote ]
| I had a misunderstanding in my pervious article on the Xbox 360 E74 error. It
| ends up that Microsoft is saying that it will repair an E74 error stricken
| Xbox 360 for free only in the first year since purchase since it is still
| covered under the basic one year warranty so the E74 is ONLY covered by the
| normal warranty. After that you have to pay to get it fixed. They will pay
| for shipping but E74 error victims will have to pay to get it fixed if their
| Xbox 360 is over a year old.
|
| [...]
|
| I am sure that the Xbox Red Ring of Death debacle has devalued the perception
| of Microsoft as a brand outside of videogames. The RROD and E74 runs the risk
| of turning an entire generation of future consumers away from seeing
| Microsoft favorably.
|
| I am not even going to mention how much the Jerry Seinfeld Windows Vista ads
| sucked.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.com/digitaljoystick/archives/164950.asp?from=blog_last3

Xbox Live Cancels Year-Long Prepaid Account, Demands Another Year's
Subscription To Reactivate

,----[ Quote ]
| Xbox Live has struck again, this time by screwing up the auto-renewal on a
| customer's account and ruining the prepaid annual membership he activated
| just three months ago.

Microsoft Needs Its Mojo Back

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/microsofts_need.html