[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Dead Departments Speak Out

Q&A: Rippy on sparking Bonfire, disbanding Ensemble

,----[ Quote ]
| In September, Microsoft announced that it would be shutting down its wholly
| owned development house Ensemble Studios. The move coincided with the
| software giant's announcement that it was shedding 5,000 jobs to help cope
| with the worldwide economic slowdown. Like a shock of cold water, the
| announcement rippled down the collective spines of the industry, as it proved
| that no developer, no matter how venerable or prestigious, was safe from the
| worsening global financial meltdown.
`----

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6206580.html

Related:

Vista is doomed

,----[ Quote ]
| AS MICROSOFT goes into this week's Professional Developer Conference, it is
| hard to find anyone keen to talk about Vista. True, it is a developer's
| forum, so you would expect a fair slice of the talk to focus on Windows 7,
| but it seems that no one wants to mention the V word, according to Microsoft
| Watch.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/28/vista-doomed

Microsoft lobbyist using TBT for legal threats

,----[ Quote ]
| Jan van den Beld, who was promoting OpenXML at the Geneva BRM for CompTIA, a
| well know Microsoft lobby group, is using the Technical Barriers to Trade WTO
| treaty for legal threats to governments:
|
|     He also advised governments against mandating just one electronic
|     document standard as it may run foul of World Trade Organization policies
|     and open themselves to possible legal challenges. "One of the big
|     concerns of WTO is that you should not use standards as a barrier to
|     trade," he said.
|
|     "If a government enforces [use of just one standard], that would mean the
|     whole country is not allowed to use OpenXML. Then, they could get into a
|     very difficult legal situation as they can be challenged legally,"
|     opinioned van den Beld.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-52518/microsoft-lobbyist-using-tbt-for-legal-threats

The commercial value of ISO privileged access

,----[ Quote ]
| Jan van den Beld 'sents love letters' to the ISO system and leaches out
| against parties who want to appeal.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50865/the-commercial-value-of-iso-privileged-access

Return of the Living Dead - Brainless Attack on MoSTI - Part Deux!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| I dont know what the attraction is, but somehow we all love the morbid
| fascination of Zombies in action. First, Microsoft^H^H^H^H^HCompTIA hires Mr
| Jan van der Beld, Ex-Ecma Secretary General, to fly all the way here in KL,
| for an event supposedly about "good multiple standards".  There he challenges
| us to find a better way to Fast Track large, immature vendor dependent
| specifications. The answer is of course: "Don't do it." Later on that same
| day, like a man possessed, he turns up at a PIKOM meeting only to rant and
| thump tables.
|
| Then today, in our fantastic broadsheet turned tabloid "The New Straits
| Times" features a "Comment" by our so called "cooler head" Datuk Dr Mohd
| Ariffin Aton entitled "Walking the Talk on neutrality policy". If you've
| forgotten about him, you may be forgiven, but he is or rather WAS the CEO if
| SIRIM Bhd.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/return-of-the-l.html

Former ECMA Sec. Gen challenges ISO/BRM critics to create a better process

,----[ Quote ]
| "If people say this whole ISO process is lousy, out of date and doesn't work
| anymore or is broken, I challenge anybody to make a new worldwide process,"
| van den Beld told PC World while in Australia working for the Computing
| Technology Industry Association.
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1518565063

And the award goes to... (top 10 worst Ecma responses)

,----[ Quote ]
| If there are awards to be given to categories of worst dispositions provided
| by Ecma in response to comments by National Bodies for the OOXML balotting on
| 2 September 2007, then the ODF Alliance's list of top 10 (plus 1 bonus!) is a
| good one. The categories are:
|
|     10. Worst Ignored Request
|     9. Worst non-Answer
|     8. Worst use of XML
|     7. Worst Introduction of Security Holes
|     6. Worst 'Back Door' Tactic
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/02/and-the-award-g.html

Give us the password!

,----[ Quote ]
| What is needed now is the public and unconditional access to the works of the
| TC 45. What is needed now is for the Ecma to give the password to their page.
| Give us the password!
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2007/12/13/give-us-the-password/

A Peek Behind the Ecma OOXML Curtain