[News] Many GNU/Linux Distributions Are Great; Diversity Needed

Some Distros Need and Deserve a Higher Profile …

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope that other distributions learn from what Canonical has done. They need
| to develop the community first and to pay attention to the needs of users.
| You can be true to your principles and attract new users. In fact, I would
| think that a distribution such as Debian has more to gain than to lose.
| People want to hear about free software. It is the notion of freedom that
| draws people in. They won’t necessarily buy into the whole package right
| away, but they will be attracted to you. You can be your own worst enemy by
| prostheletizing. You need to integrate and educate instead.
|
| I am convinced that there is enough room for growth that we don’t need to
| raid each other’s base and engage in FUD against our own kind. I think that
| the place to start is with improving the image of the distribution that you
| use by ceaselessly promoting it in whatever way that you can. This can only
| benefit Linux at large and make us all stronger in the end.
`----

http://linuxcanuck.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/some-distros-need-and-deserve-a-higher-profile/

Linux is about choice (pt 2)

,----[ Quote ]
| Could you not forsee that parts of your application may be highly desired,
| and other parts not so? Given the large "roll your own" background of so many
| Linux users, why would that mantra not continue as far as possible? Why does
| Evolution (and Claws and Thunderbird), Firefox, and so on have a plugin
| framework? Or an external editor option?
|
| Precisely because different people use Linux in different ways. And this is
| why Linux is about choice!
`----

http://nthrbldyblg.blogspot.com/2009/03/linux-is-about-choice-pt-2.html

Recent:

FOSS Debates, Part 3: Mission Control

,----[ Quote ]
| "I don't think there is one," Linus Torvalds, creator of the Linux kernel,
| told LinuxInsider.
|
| "In fact, the reason I like open source is that I find it exciting to see how
| _different_ the things people want to do are, and how that constant pulling
| in different directions actually ends up taking people somewhere -- and how
| the end result is not necessarily what any of the participants really were
| aiming for from the beginning, but actually likely _better_ for it," Torvalds
| explained.
|
| "Linux itself is an example of that," he added. "When I started out, I had no
| big goals, anything like the current kernel. Almost all of the motivation and
| impetus for everything fancy that we do today came from outside, from people
| who had different needs and views of how things needed to work than I do."
|
| Torvalds compares open source "to a more organic development model," he
| said. "To me, it's a lot like 'life' -- after all, what's the overriding
| purpose of life? I dunno, and I really don't think such a thing should matter
| or even necessarily exists. We live and do our best, and pass on our genes
| and knowledge, and change our environment -- hopefully for the better."
|
| Same thing with open source, Torvalds said: "The point about being open
| source is that you _can_ do exactly that -- 'change the environment'
| and 'pass on your genes.'"
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/FOSS-Debates-Part-3-Mission-Control-66565.html

Torvalds rejects one-size-fits-all Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/246534/torvalds-rejects-onesizefitsall-linux.html