Re: [News] Ubuntu Faster on My Internet Than Windows XP

After takin' a swig o' grog, Amaat Pieleman belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> Wow!, great achievement, Ubuntu faster than a 8 years old Windows OS.
> Did you actually read the comments?, I guess not!, smartass!

   http://practical-tech.com/network/vista-network-speed-up-tip/

   I hate Vista, but since one of the things I do is track operating
   systems, I keep it running on one (1) system.

   One of the things I find remarkably disagreeable about this junker of an
   operating system is that its network software is just awful.

   . . .

   The answer, as you might have guessed at this point, was to turn off
   Vista's TCP tuning. To do that, open up an Administrative cmd
   (command) window and enter:

   C:\> netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

   The Linux users among you will see the irony that to get Vista to network
   properly you have to open up what's essentially a root shell to
   enter an arcane command. Isn't this the kind of thing that Windows
   users have been complaining about having to do in Unix/Linux since the
   very beginning?

   Be that as it may, once you've made this change you'll pleased
   to see that Vista SP1 will now copy, move and save files to a network
   drive almost as fast as any of my Linux desktops or Windows XP SP3. Have
   I mentioned yet that I hate Vista?

--
A psychiatrist is a fellow who asks you a lot of expensive questions
your wife asks you for nothing.