[News] Free Software and Security Go Hand in Hand

Is open source safer?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Hasson, the uptake and awareness of open source software is
| rapidly increasing, and there are more malware threats targeting proprietary
| software, making open source a safer choice.
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/software/2009/0903260941.asp?A=EMT&S=Emerging%20Technologies&O=FPPN

IT security on the cheap

,----[ Quote ]
| One difference has been the school's willingness to employ open source
| software tools, and he encouraged those even in more buttoned-down
| organizations to give them a whirl. "You will not find 'cheap but perfect'
| when using open source," but you might find good enough tools that can save
| you tens of thousands of dollars vs. commercial offerings, he said. "Tools
| are getting better and upgrades are coming faster in part because more people
| are using them and giving more feedback." Sherry noted that Brown runs risk
| assessments on open source tools just like it would on any other tools.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/032509-secureworld-cheap.html

Recent:

Microsoft patches first critical bug in Windows 7 beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. patched the first critical vulnerability in Windows 7 Tuesday
| as it rolled out an update that fixes three flaws in the new operating
| system's kernel.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/windows/64099/microsoft-patches-first-critical-bug-windows-7-beta

Microsoft admits it messed up Windows 7 security

,----[ Quote ]
| Following a week where no less than two security flaws were reported in
| Windows 7 which were officially dismissed and not constituting a
| vulnerability, it seems there has now been a rather huge change of mind at
| Microsoft and a frankly astonishing confession.
|
| Microsoft has been at the sharp end of the flawed security stick this week,
| and the funny thing is it seems that they both made the stick and have been
| responsible for the continued prodding with it.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23084/1231/

Data breach incidents are increasing, study shows

,----[ Quote ]
| My official title may be "analyst," but market research is the part of my job
| that appeals to the geek in me. Good thing I work at ESG, where we do market
| research around information assurance all the time.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10157069-83.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Windows 7: Not Quite The Change We Need

,----[ Quote ]
| To fix those deeper-seated ailments, however, Microsoft would have had to put
| in a lot more than two years of work. We might not be able to try out Vista's
| replacement for another year or two--but at that point, we might see a
| dramatically improved operating system that could never be mistaken for a
| Service Pack update to Vista.
`----

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2009/01/windows_7_not_quite_the_change.html?hpid=sec-tech

Windows 7 Beta Flunks Out Of Georgetown

,----[ Quote ]
| A prestigious Washington, D.C., university has barred students and faculty
| from using the trial version of Microsoft's new Windows 7 operating system on
| school computers.
|
| "Do not install new Microsoft beta release," states a new warning from
| Georgetown University's IT group. "Installing any beta version of software is
| extremely risky," the warning states.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212903508&subSection=All+Stories

Some Fanboys Don’t Like Windows 7 Either

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazingly, the Windows Supersite of Paul Thurrott is showing some falling out
| of lockstep with Redmond.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle/2009/01/15/some-fanboys-dont-like-windows-7-either/

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Windows 7 Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows 7, the much-hyped upcoming version of Windows operating system is now
| in Beta. And though it’s kind of promising based on reading some of the
| positive reviews, one thing is for sure; it will never become the 'awesomest'
| operating system that everyone will love.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/01/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-windows-7.html

Windows 7 Unmasked

,----[ Quote ]