[News] Businesses in OSBC See Free Software Gaining the Economy

Open Source Backers See Downturn Opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| Panelist Marten Mikos, former CEO at mySQL and an outgoing executive at Sun
| (which purchased the database software last year in a blockbuster
| billion-dollar deal), was quick to note there are many high-quality open
| source applications, "but customers buy on low price, so in a recession, open
| source is that much more attractive both for the applications and the cost of
| development."
|
| John Roberts, CEO of SugarCRM, agreed.
|
| "All companies are rethinking the value proposition," he said. "If you're a
| 100-percent proprietary software, it's difficult to create unique value."
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3812011/Open+Source+Backers+See+Downturn+Opportunity.htm

Microsoft is trying to refute this. Lies and more lies...

Nuxeo Announces the Availability of Nuxeo EP 5.2, the New Release of Its Open
Source ECM Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| After 18 months of open and intensive R&D efforts, Nuxeo presents a major
| version of its ECM open source platform: Nuxeo Enterprise Platform (EP) 5.2.
`----

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-24-2009/0004993540&EDATE=

Related:

No Justification Need

,----[ Quote ]
| What's at the forefront of my crabbiness is the almost-complete capture of
| the Open Source Business Conference's news cycle by Brad Smith's presence at
| that conference left me wondering who else was even there this week, other
| than Smith, Matt Asay, and a few pundits and luminaries. In a nicely done
| spin for the media, OSBC suddenly became about how Microsoft braved the
| lion's den, instead of the real progress a lot of companies are making in
| open source development and business.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-03-28-020-26-OP-SW

All That Got Stolen Was Microsoft's Thunder

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/message_to_brad.html