[News] New Improvements for Free Software Programming in Eclipse

Eclipse to unwrap Swordfish in early April

,----[ Quote ]
| Eclipse's jump into runtime puts the foundation into more direct competition
| with companies like Oracle, IBM and Microsoft, as well as a multitude of
| smaller providers. Eclipse already shook up the development tools market by
| offering a free and open source toolset — can Eclipse pull off the same with
| SOA?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/23/eclipse_swordfish_release_in_april/

Eclipse Shines a Light on the IDE's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source Eclipse Foundation has its eye on making its integrated
| development environment (IDE) ready for the future, with new projects
| designed to better adapt to cloud-based architectures and to stake a claim in
| runtime frameworks.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3811711/Eclipse+Shines+a+Light+on+the+IDEs+Future.htm

Recent:

EclipseCon is Next Week: Discount for OStatic Readers

,----[ Quote ]
| Next week, March 23rd to 26th, EclipseCon takes place in Santa Clara,
| California. Eclipse is a very large open source community focused on open
| develpment platforms, and extensible frameworks and tools, overseen by The
| Eclipse Foundation.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/eclipsecon-is-next-week-discount-for-ostatic-readers

Major handset makers to collaborate on Eclipse dev tools

,----[ Quote ]
| A group of major mobile phone handset makers aim to simplify mobile
| application development by working together to create a standard set of
| development tools on top of Eclipse, a popular open source integrated
| development environment (IDE).
|
| Eclipse, which was originally created by IBM to provide a robust IDE for Java
| development, is now managed by the non-profit Eclipse Foundation and has
| become one of the most widely used development tools in the software
| industry. Eclipse is highly extensible by design and the source code is
| available under the permissive Eclipse Public License. These factors have
| made it a useful starting point for numerous companies that have adapted it
| for their own SDKs and custom development environments.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/03/major-handset-makers-to-collaborate-on-eclipse-dev-tools.ars

Related:

Eclipse framework overshadowing proprietary embedded tools

,----[ Quote ]
| It may still take a few years to solidify its position, but Eclipse appears
| to be on the way to overshadowing proprietary embedded tool chains.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/design/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208402251

Eclipse Expands Open Source Technologies for Embedded and Mobile Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eclipse Foundation today announced new initiatives to develop open source
| technologies for embedded and mobile developers. The new initiatives, part of
| the Eclipse Device Software Development Platform (DSDP) Project, make it
| easier for developers to debug, manage and deploy software on embedded and
| mobile devices. These new projects build on the continued success the Eclipse
| community has had in creating open source technology for the embedded and
| mobile industry.
`----

http://www.centredaily.com/business/technology/story/525067.html

AMD Unveils Open Source Eclipse Plug-In

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD announced a new plug-in that provides the Eclipse community with
| increased performance management and monitoring of Java software code.
| Called “CodeSleuth,” this new plug-in delivers the functionality of AMD’s
| CodeAnalyst Performance Analyzer, a suite of tools that analyze software
| performance on AMD processors, including Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors.
`----

http://ajax.sys-con.com/read/529382.htm

Ingres in two bundling deals

| Ingres is looking to make life easier for developers with a couple of
| announcements. It has teamed up with enterprise content management company
| Alfresco to produce an integrated software bundle allowing users to have a
| simple way to implement ECM and a database at the same time. Ingres has also
| announced a bundle that will enable developers to create Java applications
| using the Eclipse Foundation's open-source development framework.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/28/Ingres-in-two-bundling-deals_1.html

Linux vendor bags top Eclipse award

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eclipse Foundation awarded its EclipseCon 2008 Technology Awards
| yesterday, and named Wind River Workbench (pictured at left) as the "Best
| Commercial Eclipse-Based Developer Tool." Other award winners included
| EclEmma, Cyrano, Xmind 2008, and MyTourbook.

Study: Eclipse users find the tools make or save money

,----[ Quote ]
| While Eclipse tools may have first appeared in some companies after
| grass-roots efforts by individual developers working on isolated projects,
| the open-source developer community is now squarely "business-oriented,"
| according to the results of a recent survey released Tuesday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1556028123&rid=-50

Eclipse Aims for Smaller, Faster, Simpler

,----[ Quote ]
| A major overhaul of the Eclipse code base may be a long time off, but it's on
| the minds of some of the leaders of the open-source tools platform.

Linux developers considering move to Eclipse

,----[ Quote ]
| At the recent Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, it was decided to
| start making Eclipse, the open-source development platform, the Visual
| Studio for Linux.

Eclipse Ships Largest-Ever Release of Leading Open Source Software Development
Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Europa features 21 Eclipse projects for software developers and is more
| than double the size of last year's record-setting release.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,129556.shtml

Eclipse Community Survey of 2007 Results

,----[ Quote ]
| Organizations are using Eclipse for cross-platform development and
| deployment. On average they have 2.1 development platforms and 2.7 deployment
| platforms for software build using Eclipse. Windows is the most popular
| development platform, with 74% of organizations choosing Windows as their
| primary development platform, followed by Linux at 20%. However, for primary
| deployment platforms, Linux is well represented at 37%, compared with 47% on
| Windows. Given that 72% of respondents are creating server software, this may
| reflect the strength of Linux as a server operating system.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/application/14119/eclipse-community-survey-2007-results

Can Linux Get a Lift From Eclipse?

,----[ Quote ]
| Eager to shed its reputation as a tool just for Java developers, Eclipse has
| quickly embraced newer languages such as PHP, Python and Ruby—as well as
| older ones like Ada, COBOL and C. But when it comes to enabling native Linux
| development, Eclipse isn’t moving as fast. It’s not uncommon for applications
| originating from Eclipse to target Linux servers...
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,21957,p,0.html

Survey: Windows loses ground with developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux gaining share as the number of developers targeting Windows falls
| 12 percent, Evans Data says
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/07/02/mswindows-share_1.html

Developers' use of open source Eclipse doubles

,----[ Quote ]
| The adoption rate of the open source Eclipse integrated development
| environment has more than doubled in the Europe, the Middle East and
| Africa region, industry analysts have revealed.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/12/12/220548/developers-use-of-open-source-eclipse-doubles.htm

Old:

Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Visual Basic has dropped 35% since the spring, says a
| poll of more than 430 North American developers done by research
| company Evans Data.
|
| [...]
|
| Developers have abandoned Microsoft's Visual Basic in droves
| during the last six months, and they're using Java more than any
| other development language, according to a recently published
| survey.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196600515

Eclipse Is Still Going Strong

,----[ Quote ]
| In the intervening years, the Eclipse open-source development
| platform has grown well beyond the IDE space, branching out into
| areas such as reporting, modeling, AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript
| and XML) development, SOA (service-oriented architecture) tooling,
| RCP (rich-client platform) technology, team development, and
| support for other languages beyond Java.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061107/tc_zd/193207

Eclipse: A Billion-Dollar Baby?

,----[ Quote ]