[News] Furniture Goes 'Open Source' and Also Other Areas

Mod That Table: High-End Furniture Goes Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Your next piece of designer furniture could cost less than an Ikea chair—as
| long as you're willing to make it yourself. Taking a cue from the Linux
| community and file-sharing services, Berlin-based design guru Ronen Kadushin
| has started a furniture free-for-all he calls Open Design. It allows crafty
| consumers to download the instructions, photos, and AutoCAD files needed to
| knock off his work.
`----

http://www.wired.com/culture/design/magazine/17-04/pl_create

Open Revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| In software development, almost everyone recognizes the power of sharing,
| verifying, reusing, and improving source code. At the same time, developing
| software takes time, which means that it's expensive. It's not obvious that
| you can give people the right to see, modify, and redistribute your source
| code without torpedoing your business model.
`----

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.1000078&ct=1&SESSID=69671bb942a0e516498f73914f123245

Recent:

DIY Filing Cabinet Linux Server Cluster

,----[ Quote ]
| Freelance animator Janne needed a cheap way to do a whole lot of
| CPU-intensive 3D rendering, so he built a Linux cluster into an Ikea filing
| cabinet to get the job done. The Helmer was a whole lot cheaper than what CPU
| cases would cost for the servers he built, and it saved a lot of space, too.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5062441/diy-filing-cabinet-linux-server-cluster

Another IKEA linux cluster

,----[ Quote ]
| In a bit of serendipity, reader [Tim Molter] had decided on the IKEA Helmer
| cabinet for his new cluster right before seeing the previous IKEA cluster we
| covered. He and his coding partner recently completed building their own
| version of the IKEA Linux cluster. The cabinet was $30 and holds six headless
| boxes. Each board has a quad-core AMD processor for a total of 24 cores.
`----

http://hackaday.com/2008/10/04/another-ikea-linux-cluster/

Linux still super in Top500

,----[ Quote ]