[News] Linux is Getting Faster

Benchmarking The Linux 2.6.24 Through 2.6.29 Kernels

,----[ Quote ]
| With the release yesterday of the Linux 2.6.29 kernel, we have set out to
| explore how the desktop performance has evolved over the past six major
| kernel releases. On a few occasions in the past we have provided kernel
| benchmarks (at one point even benchmarking 12 kernels), but this time around
| we have included nearly two dozen benchmarks using the Phoronix Test Suite.
| How has the Linux performance evolved since the release of the Linux 2.6.24
| kernel back in early 2008? Well, simply put, the Linux 2.6.29 kernel in a few
| areas does pack some serious performance benefits.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2629_benchmarks&num=1

Recent:

Taking Ubuntu 9.04 Out For A Spin

,----[ Quote ]
| The best thing I noticed about Ubuntu 9.04 so far is how fast it is. The
| developers weren’t lying when they talked about speed, this thing is FAST.
| Even though I installed it on an older machine, you wouldn’t notice it
| because even with an older processor, Jaunty is probably the most responsive
| version I’ve ever used.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=215

FOSS Debates, Part 1: Kernel Truths

,----[ Quote ]
| When Linux version 0.01 was first released more than 17 years ago, it
| included some 10,000 lines of code; last fall, the kernel surpassed 10
| million.
|
| Though blank lines, comments and text files are included in that count, the
| kernel's size has been a source of growing concern among many observers, not
| a few of whom charge the kernel has become unwieldy and bloated.
`----

http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/must-read/66401.html

EXT4 is improving the Linux experience

,----[ Quote ]