[News] Mathematician and Lawyer Find Free Software That Suit Them

Open source math programs and languages

,----[ Quote ]
| In closing, I will point out that the proprietary alternatives to many of the
| programs and languages that I have discussed here have their place. They come
| backed with whole companies of people who have done a lot of work to make
| things smooth and also provide a great deal of technical support. Going the
| open source however has both economic and ideological advantages. These
| options may often be somewhat less glossy and have less tech support, but
| they also come with a community of really dedicated people who really love
| using these programs and languages and are happy to answer a question here
| and there on various forums but won't be at your beck and call the way a
| technical support person will be (of course, you will probably more likely to
| get an answer to a question on a weekend or after hours on a forum...).
| Furthermore, if there is some feature, bug or functionality that you want to
| have someone add or take a look at respectively, there are often people in
| the open source community who are willing to help you make the changes or
| will even make them themselves. This is something that you cannot do when you
| cannot access the source code, and is one of the big advantages of the open
| source route. Whatever you decide, best of luck in your journeys!
`----

http://www.examiner.com/x-3993-Math-Geek-Examiner~y2009m3d20-Open-source-math-programs-and-languages

Wdiff compare - Good!

,----[ Quote ]
| The other nice thing about wdiff is that it was already installed on my
| machine!  About two (maybe three??) years ago I googled around for something
| that would do diffs on text files, but the searches only showed diff, kdiff
| etc.  Wdiff apparently dates back to the early 90s so my search terms maybe
| weren’t the best - or too many other people are using and linking to diff!
| Anyway, wdiff seems to be part of the standard install for OpenSuSE and I’d
| had it all along.
`----

http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/wdiff-compare-good/

Related:

Sage: Insights into open source technology

,----[ Quote ]
| SAGE, which stands for Software for Algebra and Geometry Experimentation, is
| basically a free, high-level calculator.
|
| Like Firefox is an alternative to Internet explorer and Wikipedia is an
| alternative to Encyclopedia Britannica, SAGE is an alternative to Magma,
| Maple, Mathematica and MATLAB, according to the SAGE Web site.
`----

http://thedaily.washington.edu/2008/1/14/sage-insights-open-source-technology/

Sage 3.0.2 Review

,----[ Quote ]