[News] Sony Shares Literature's for Free and Canadians Fight "Criminal by Default" Law

  • Subject: [News] Sony Shares Literature's for Free and Canadians Fight "Criminal by Default" Law
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:27:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sony fights Kindle juggernaut with public domain e-books

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony's e-book reader will now have easy access to specially-formatted copies
| of public domain books scanned by Google. Can free (in both senses) content
| help Sony in its battle against Amazon's Kindle juggernaut?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/03/sony-suddenly-loves-the-public-domain.ars

Surprise, Surprise: Canadians Aren't Interested In ISP Levies

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Geist points to two new polls released by Angus Reid Strategies,
| which show that Canadians are overwhelmingly against the idea of ISP levies.
| It should come as no surprise that 79% of people surveyed about the possible
| Canadian content levy on new media said it would be an "unnecessary and/or
| inappropriate fee that would end up being passed along to consumers.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090313/0115054106.shtml

Related:

Canadian Blank CD Levy To Increase By Another 38%

,----[ Quote ]
| The Copyright Board of Canada has decided to increase the levy on blank CDs
| from 21 cents to 29 cents each. The levy is a sort of "you're a criminal tax"
| that assumes blank CDs are going to be used for unauthorized copying. Blank
| CDs in Canada are now often more expensive than blank DVDs (which have no
| levy and hold more data), and most of that cost goes directly to the record
| industry.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081205/1952423036.shtml

Taxing ISPs To Fund Newspapers?

,----[ Quote ]
| In trying to explain why a music tax is a bad idea, I pointed out that if you
| start with music, you quickly have to start adding pretty much every industry
| disrupted by the internet. The obvious one is movies, but what about
| newspapers? They're struggling due to the internet, so why can't they demand
| an ISP tax to support newspapers? The idea, of course, is that this was a
| ludicrous suggestion... but apparently some people have thought seriously
| about it.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090105/0129403284.shtml

New York Governor seeks iPod tax