[News] Fedora Responds to Gossip, Red Hat Rebuts Slashdot FUD

Gushing, gossip, grapevine, gabble.

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’ve seen our feature list for Fedora 11, you know how extensive it is.
| These features will likely end up in other distributions as well — which is a
| purposeful goal of our upstream policies. Jerry-rigging changes in our own
| distribution that only change Fedora, and that would make our contributors
| work too hard trying to keep those differences coordinated, would make no
| sense. Instead we try to work heavily and directly in upstream communities
| like the kernel, X.org, freedesktop.org, GNOME, and so forth, so the advances
| we’re making will benefit free software users everywhere. The specific goals
| for a Fedora release include informing the public about all the work we’ve
| done to advance these various features for the good of all.
`----

http://marilyn.frields.org:8080/~paul/wordpress/?p=1437

Discouraging Software Patent Lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently we’ve seen some surprising comments about Red Hat’s stand on
| software patents and, in particular, about one of its patent applications
| related to the AMQP specification. It looks like clarification is called for.
| Our views and our position, as expressed in our work for patent reform, our
| Patent Promise, and our work with the AMQP project, have not changed.
|
| Red Hat has worked hard to address the problems of our patent system. We
| believe there are serious problems with the existing system, particularly as
| it affects free and open source software. In just the last few months, we
| have supported new patent reform legislation, submitted a brief in the Bilski
| case arguing against patenting of software, and created an innovative patent
| settlement in the FireStar case that gave broad protection to the open source
| community. We are also proud of our work in helping establish the Open
| Invention Network, supporting the Peer-to-Patent program, and developing our
| Patent Promise.
`----

http://www.press.redhat.com/2009/03/17/discouraging-software-patent-lawsuits/

Recent:

Another 100,000+ week for Fedora 10

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora 10 has been gaining new users at impressive rates.  This past week
| alone Fedora 10 has picked up over 100,000 more.
`----

http://californiaquantum.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/another-100000-week-for-fedora-10/

Red Hat Fedora Claims It's the Leader in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3786726/Red+Hat+Fedora+Claims+Its+the+Leader+in+Linux.htm