[News] GNU/Linux Brand Changes, the "Change" Brand Applied

Linux: The Brand

,----[ Quote ]
| Now it’s time the Linux brand got trampled to death too. The term is
| ambiguous and unhelpful when you use it outside of the programming and
| sys-admin industries. OK so we love having a single banner to fly and Linux
| is a very successful kernel project. But it’s not good to advocate with a
| conversation that starts off with a lie, that this system your using is
| Linux. Because then you’ll be constantly trying to explain why Linux doesn’t
| work here, but does work there, doesn’t do that, except when it does over
| there. It’s not a coherent system like the name’s use suggests.
|
| I think we should be more specific and say what we mean:
|
|     * Linux - The Kernel project
|     * FOSS - The Philosophies that underpin the creation of software
|     * Ubuntu, Fedora - The Operating Systems
`----

http://doctormo.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/linux-the-brand/

Change is a hard thing to do.

,----[ Quote ]
| Changing from closed source programs to open source programs is a hard thing
| to do. Many people will resist that change fiercely and will pull every trick
| out of the book to justify their objections to that change.
|
| Sometimes they have no choice and when a company is instructed to move from a
| closed source program to an open source program it is inevitable that, as the
| old Chinese curse goes, there will be interesting times.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/change-is-a-hard-thing-to-do-30553

Related:

Google beats Microsoft, Coke in brand stakes

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has knocked Microsoft off the top spot and been named
| the most powerful global brand of 2007 in a recently
| published ranking.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1014_3-6178310.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news

Should Mozilla Rebrand Itself as Firefox?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=1261
http://tinyurl.com/62pmyp