[News] Linux Runs on Miniature Devices (SheevaPlug and Gumstick)

SheevaPlug: the NSLU2 killer

,----[ Quote ]
| I received a SheevaPlug this week, an intriguing device that packs incredible
| power and functionality into a tiny package. As many of you know, I've been
| doing a lot of work on Debian for the Linksys NSLU2 in the last few years.
| The NSLU2 is a key reason why ARM has become the third most popular
| architecture in Debian (after 32 and 64 bit x86), and I believe a main reason
| is that the NSLU2 is so incredibly cheap. At a price under $100, most people
| don't think too long and simply buy a device and do something cool with it.
`----

http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer

Linux on a Gumstick -- A Tour of the Gumstix Overo

,----[ Quote ]
| When I first came across Gumstix, my jaw dropped. Gumstix are fully
| functional computer motherboards, the size of a gumstick or smaller, that run
| Linux. The latest in the Gumstix line, the Overo Earth, pushes the boundaries
| of ultra small computers -- and kicks some serious butt doing it.
|
| [...]
|
| The Overo comes with the Enlightenment Window Manager. Attach a mouse, and
| you now have a Linux box for your TV.
`----

http://johnwoconnor.blogspot.com/2009/03/linux-on-gumstick-tour-of-gumstix-overo.html

Related:

Open source hardware club ships Gumstix-based handheld

,----[ Quote ]
| An open source hacker community has launched an online store to sell
| home-made gizmos, including a GPS-equipped baseboard (pictured) for the
| Linux-ready Gumstix Verdex processor module. GizmoForYou builds custom
| gadgets according to members suggestions, and sells the open-spec devices
| online, says the group.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3887946599.html?kc=rss

Tiny SBC builds on Cortex-A8 SoC

,----[ Quote ]
| Gumstix launched a tiny fourth-generation version of its open-source,
| gumstick-shaped SBC (single-board computer). The Linux-based Overo Earth
| measures 17 x 58 x 4.2mm, 40 percent smaller than the earlier Verdex, and it
| has switched to the ARM Cortex-A8-based Texas Instruments (TI) OMAP 3503
| system-on-chip (SoC).
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6027032354.html?kc=rss

Tiny Linux SBC steps up to PXA270