[News] Big Growth for GNU/Linux and Free Software in the PBX Market

Downturn Good for Open-Source PBXes

,----[ Quote ]
| A study has found that open-source PBXes are gaining acceptance among IT
| executives in North America, mainly because of their minimal cost and high
| flexibility. The study, by The Eastern Management Group, surveyed 6,000 IT
| executives and found that Asterisk open-source IP PBX products account for 18
| percent of sales among the companies surveyed. Nortel Networks' products came
| in second at 15 percent, and Cisco Systems Inc.'s offerings third with 12
| percent.
`----

http://www.voip-news.com/feature/in-news-polycom-downturn-031309/

Digium Exec Sees Open Source Opportunity in Downturn

,----[ Quote ]
| GG: You’re speaking at an upcoming enterprise VoIP event. What topics will
| you be addressing?
| BM: My speaking engagement is in the presentation theater of our premier
| gateway partner AudioCodes. My topic, “Open Source in an Economic Downturn,”
| will be an introduction to why businesses should consider open source based
| telephony solutions as a remedy to their budget constraints and business
| phone system needs.
`----

http://ip-pbx.tmcnet.com/topics/ip-pbx/articles/52119-digium-exec-sees-open-source-opportunity-downturn.htm

Talking with Rick Boone, President, NETXUSA

,----[ Quote ]
| The best indicator for me is a record number of downloads of Asterisk (News -
| Alert) open source in 2008. Asterisk is the worlds leading open source
| application out there right now and in my opinion is a very big part of why
| VoIP in general as taken off.
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/voip/0209/talking-with-rick-boone-president-netxusa.htm

Fonality reports 2.8 million trixbox CE downloads in 2008, 750 million calls,
44,000 commercial deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| Fonality®, the world's largest deployment of open source-based phone systems
| announced high growth in the company's commercial and open source business
| units. trixbox® CE, Fonality's open source project, in 2008 alone was
| downloaded a total of 2.8 million times, which includes 336,000 SourceForge
| downloads and an additional 2.48 million downloads and upgrades from
| trixbox.org.
`----

http://www.callcentreclinic.com/news/corporate-news-41/3362.htm

Recent:

Open source PBXs make market inroads

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies are turning to open-source PBXs as the economy worsens according to
| one research company. The Eastern Management Group claimed that open-source
| PBX account for nearly a fifth of the North American market - although a
| rival company has dismissed the claims as 'headline-grabbing.'
|
| Because they are generally less expensive, open source products may become
| attractive to more corporate users as their budgets are cut, laying the
| groundwork for a growth spurt, said Eastern. "The price of [open-source] PBXs
| is so low as to attract more than passing attention," says John Malone,
| president and CEO of the group.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=111586

Open source PBXs make corporate gains; how much is up for debate

,----[ Quote ]
| The bad economy may be a boon to relatively inexpensive open-source IP PBXs,
| which one study says already account for nearly 18% of all PBXs installed
| last year in North American business networks.
|
| Because they are generally less expensive, open source products may become
| attractive to more corporate users as their budgets are cut, laying the
| groundwork for a growth spurt, according to the recent study by Eastern
| Management Group.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/022709-open-source-pbx.html

Open Source Controls 18% of PBX Market