[News] More Portable Platforms Empower GNu/Linux (Mer and Arbor Tablet)

Community group widens Maemo's reach

,----[ Quote ]
| A community effort to create a mainstream open-source Linux distribution for
| tablets based on the Nokia-specific Maemo 5.0 environment is gaining
| momentum, says LWN.net. The "Mer" project, which targets older Nokia tablets
| as well as generic devices, has already passed major milestones, says the
| story.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4893289864.html?kc=rss

Medical tablet gets Atom, 12.1-inch screen

,----[ Quote ]
| Arbor announced a Linux-compatible tablet PC targeting medical applications,
| with a sealed, easily sanitized case. The "M1255" has a 12.1-inch touchscreen
| display, Atom N270 processor, 60GB hard disk drive, 802.11b/g/n WiFi,
| two-megapixel camera, barcode scanner, fingerprint reader, and an RFID
| reader, the company says.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9732192573.html?kc=rss

Recent:

Review: Ubuntu Mobile Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall this version represents a good start toward making the Linux
| operating system a viable alternative to Windows for these ultra portable
| devices. You can follow the development on any of the Ubuntu mobile mailing
| lists and IRC discussions listed on the UME wiki.
`----

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/reviews/article.php/3807391

Related:

Ubuntu Mobile Edition: Review

,----[ Quote ]
| The mobile Internet device (MID) space is one of the fastest growing
| platforms with new concept designs appearing every month. Nokia was one of
| the earliest vendors with a product (Nokia 770) in this space to ship with a
| Linux operating system (OS) and continues to see solid sales with the current
| model 810. New concept designs come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, and
| many sport a Linux OS.
|
| [...]
|
| With my Q1 I purchased the leather case / USB keyboard accessory to make text
| entry easier. Open Office works just fine under UME, and I was able to enter
| and edit text using the keyboard with no issues. The USB keyboard also
| includes an "eraser head" type mouse that works just fine under UME. I did
| not try to connect a Bluetooth keyboard although this version is supposed to
| support Bluetooth devices.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6511/1/

Open source to 'blow mobiles open'

,----[ Quote ]
| McCabe said that the impending release of Google Android would provide
| a "wonderful catalyst" for the breakdown of proprietary software and hardware
| bundles from telcos. Other open source handset software includes the recent
| release of mobile Ubuntu.
`----

http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,39253486,00.htm

Feeling the heat at Microsoft