Re: secret copyright treaty ..

____/ Homer on Friday 13 March 2009 20:00 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Doug Mentohl spake thusly:
>> Last September, the Bush administration defended the unusual secrecy
>>  over an anti-counterfeiting treaty being negotiated by the U.S.
>> government, which some liberal groups worry could criminalize some
>> peer-to-peer file sharing that infringes copyrights.
>> Now President Obama's White House has tightened the cloak of
>> government secrecy still further, saying in a letter this week that a
>> discussion draft of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement and
>> related materials are
>> "classified in the interest of national security pursuant to
>> Executive Order 12958."
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10195547-38.html
> It may be an obvious question but - WTF has *copyrights* got to do with
> "National Security"?
> What next, will the (further adventures of the) EU Commission antitrust
> investigation into Microsoft's racketeering also be considered a matter
> of American "National Security"?
> What is it that needs "securing" exactly ... a bunch of state-protected
> carpetbaggers selling snake oil to a captive audience, or the US Bizniz
> culture of corporatism in general?

This new showed up last week:

MPAA Study Links Piracy to Gangs and Terrorists

,----[ Quote ]
| The MPAA funded report report titled ‘Film Piracy, Organized Crime, and
| Terrorism’ claims that terrorist groups use film piracy to finance their
| activities, while organized gangs see it as a significant revenue stream.
| Selling pirated goods is a ‘low-risk, high-profit enterprise’ which attracts
| criminals of all sorts according to the report. And, as if that is not bad
| enough, in some areas the influence of these pirating gangs extends into law
| enforcement and political leaders, who are bought, intimidated, or induced to
| create “protected spaces” where crime flourishes.

MPAA Study Calls For Piracy Patriot Act

The "war on sharing" is the new "war on terror".

SXSW 2009 on BitTorrent: 6 GB of Free Music

Share and enjoy. The MAFIAA would hate it.

6 GB of music, totally legal!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread