Re: [News] OpenOffice.org Gets a Lot Faster in Next Version

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:44:55 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Start up performance - something that always matters
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Today I want to show you what we have done so far for start up
>>| performance. We made a thoroughly analysis about the start up
>>| performance under Windows and Linux. Using powerful tools (e.g.
>>| Process Monitor from Sysinternals), which provide data from the system
>>| level, made it easy to collect data to quantify the different aspects
>>| during start up. Based on this data we want to see where we can
>>| influence the start up performance.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/start_up_performance_something_that
>
> Wait... wait.. wait..
>
> But I thought OpenOffice.org was already blazingly fast?
>
> According to Sun's own benchmarks, it takes 24.8 seconds to start up.
>
> almost half a minute.

> So Terry, what was that bout OOo being so fast again?

Did you notice, Erik, that these times were for WinXP?
OpenOffice starts cold here in under 8 seconds on linux
Every other start is in under 2 seconds
--
What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog,