Re: OLPC Moves to ARM. Farewell, Windows XP?

Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <gpbkdi$l2i$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Vincent Fritters <Vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > What's a OLPC?  Is that some toy-like computer that used to exist
>> > before the advent of netbooks?
>>
>> It's a good will project that was sabotaged by Microsoft, Intel and
>> others because they put their selfish interests first instead of the
>> children who might benefit from the program.
>
> So designing a better children's computer, based on extensive field
> research in third world classrooms to find out what the teachers
> actually need, is sabotage?

Isn't it funny none of this research or "better children's computer"
appeared until M$ and Intel needed to derail the OLPC project?

> The OLPC plan was basically "Give kids laptops--and maybe something will
> happen.  We don't know if it will help them or hurt them.  But it will
> be cool to find out".

That wasn't their plan at all, Troll.

Read the true mission of the OLPC:

"Mission Statement: To create educational opportunities for the world's
poorest children by providing each child with a rugged, low-cost,
low-power, connected laptop with content and software designed for
collaborative, joyful, self-empowered learning. When children have access
to this type of tool they get engaged in their own education. They learn,
share, create, and collaborate. They become connected to each other, to the
world and to a brighter future."

http://laptop.org/en/vision/index.shtml