Re: [News] PCLinuxOS 2009 is Released!

Timo Pirinen wrote:

> Don Zeigler wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> DistroWatch says it has been released.
>>
>> PCLOS 2009 is currently at third beta and features KDE 3.5, not Gnome: The
>> Gnome version listed on Distrowatch and available from Linuxgator.org is not
>> the official 2009 release.
>>
>> • 2009-02-07: Development Release: PCLinuxOS 2009 Beta 3
>> • 2008-12-05: Development Release: PCLinuxOS 2009 Beta 2
>> • 2008-10-18: Development Release: PCLinuxOS 2009 Beta 1
>
> What is this iso, dated today 10-Mar-2009 03:27, size 696M?
>
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/live-cd/english/preview/pclinuxos-2009.iso

Note the 'preview' in the url.

However, when the pclinuxos 2009 iso is officially released all
current pclinuxos users (assuming they update their packages) will
already be running pclinuxos 2009. pclinuxos is one of those distro's,
like gentoo, that doesn't require major upgrades every few months. The
2009 iso is for those wanting to try the distro, and hopefully install
and support it. Hence even though the current iso is dated 2007 those
using it are as up to date as possible.

I use pclinuxos as my OS of choice at work and home (I work on average 2
days in my home office per week). I do not need any Microsoft
applications to do this. Windows email is read using evolution and or
OWA. My work involves many excel spreadsheets which always open with no
problem in OO.o. Sometimes the excel files are several MB's in size
although the actual displayed data is small. These can take a long time
to load. Once saved as '.ods' they are vastly smaller and load very
quickly.

For me pclinuxos is excellent. I have installed it on several desktops
and laptops and all the HW has fully worked 'out of the box'.