[News] John Dvorak Dumps Windows for GNU/Linux, Disappointed with BetaVista7

Dvorak Likes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Every so often I take a stab at Linux, to see exactly what I like and do not
| like about the OS. Many of its problems, for me, stem from its inability to
| run on my overloaded hardware, or the occasional driver that makes the OS
| impossible to use without hand-tweaking something or other. That said, I
| seriously like the Ubuntu 8.10 implementation and will now install it
| permanently on my latest machines. It's a winner.

Windows PCs Subject to Clogging, Need Draino

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of a new OS begins both a new hardware buying cycle and an
| upgrade cycle. Since the buying cycle is stretched to six years or more, you
| end up with an interesting phenomenon: The upgrade cycle is contaminated with
| machines too old to upgrade. This causes the entire system to break down
| because the upgrade cycle immediately feeds back into the perception of the
| new product. In the situation with Vista, too many old clunkers couldn't be
| upgraded and the OS was given a bad reputation. This was worsened by
| Microsoft itself discouraging upgrades and admitting to problems. Combined
| with the Apple attack ads the public perception of Vista skewed to the
| negative.

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says it remains happy with enterprise sales of Vista -- however,
| the software behemoth acknowledges that many businesses which have bought
| Vista licences are yet to deploy the software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Windows-Vista-Sold-but-not-deployed/0,130061733,339284495,00.htm

Will Windows Vista Succeed In 2008? Don't Count On It

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista has certainly been slow out of the gate. Sure, Microsoft is putting the
| operating system on newly shipped systems, but Vista sales didn’t benefit
| from the upgrade surge that previous OSes got upon release. A year after it
| began shipping, less than one percent of corporate desktops are running
| Vista.
| ^^^^^
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/01/will_windows_vi.html

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579