[News] Microsoft's Days Are Numbered, GNU/Linux Business Model Wins

Microsoft's business model is done

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been playing with one of many new systems that are hitting the market
| which allow the user to quickly boot the machine and go directly to a small
| version of Linux rather than wait to load Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| Until now, the average computer user has been ignoring this trend. But the
| economic conditions and the emergence of powerful inexpensive computing has
| to make people rethink the Microsoft proposition.
|
| If Intel can provide users with powerful little systems for $99 and has been
| pushing prices lower and lower over the years, why can't Microsoft? Intel
| makes elaborate hardware in billion-dollar factories. Microsoft stamps out a
| disk.
|
| This discrepancy has to end soon.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-business-model-over/story.aspx?guid={4C81119F-100F-4D73-95AD-80424E949DC1}&dist=TNMostRead

Recent:

Cheap PCs Weigh on Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| But most netbooks have less processing power than their full-featured cousins
| and can’t run high-spec versions of Windows, the world’s most widely used
| operating system. Microsoft is selling netbook makers cheaper, lighter
| versions of its operating system, but some manufacturers cut it out
| altogether by using Linux, an open-source OS. About 30% of netbooks, which
| sell for as little as $300, run a version of Linux.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/12/08/cheap-pcs-weigh-on-microsoft/

One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to competitive pricing on the Ubuntu
| SKUs. “When you look at the sweet spot for this category it is price
| sensitivity, and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price entry point,” added
| Dell senior product manager John New.
`----

http://blog.laptopmag.com/one-third-of-dell-inspiron-mini-9s-sold-run-linux

Related: