[News] Linux Grows in Mobile 'Thanks' to Economic Trouble

'Openness' leads way for mobile platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| Byrne said the decision to move Symbian to open source is crucial in
| maintaining its leadership over Android, Linux and Microsoft, in an
| increasingly competitive market.

Economic Slowdown Accelerates Linux Growth in Mobile Handsets

,----[ Quote ]
| With deteriorating global economic conditions making their impact felt in the
| wireless industry, handset OEMs and mobile network operators are looking to
| Linux-based operating systems to cut costs and diversify their handset
| portfolios, reports IMS Research.
| While Linux-based operating systems have had a presence in the mobile handset
| market for years, growth has been slow and steady until recently. However,
| recent announcements from Motorola, Vodafone, HTC, and Huawei, among others,
| all stating that Linux-based operating systems will figure in to their
| upcoming handset releases, clearly demonstrate that OEMs and operators are
| ready to embrace Linux software on a larger scale, according to IMS Research.

Smartphones: they're all about Linux, baby

,----[ Quote ]
| iPhone challengers Palm Pre as well as HTC's Dream and Magic have one thing
| in common: Linux-based operating systems. We look at why Linux is so good for
| smartphones.

Smartphones Will Double Their Share of the Handset Market by 2013, According to

,----[ Quote ]
| Smartphones with Linux OS (including Android) will see the highest growth and
| the second highest volume behind Symbian. Linux OS will outpace Windows
| Mobile, RIM and iPhone OSX.

Google’s Android May Challenge Microsoft in Portables

,----[ Quote ]
| Google started Android in 2007 as part of an industry effort to create a free
| software system for phones. Based on the Linux operating system, Android is
| open to any programmer who wants to develop features for it. T-Mobile USA
| Inc., the fourth- biggest wireless carrier in the U.S., offers an Android
| phone called the G1.

Motorola disses Windows Mobile: Android "more competitive"

,----[ Quote ]