[News] Microsoft's Mafia Behaviour (Linux Lawsuit) Shows It's Losing

The Real Reason for Microsoft's TomTom Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| That seems pretty definitive. The question now is what Microsoft hopes to
| achieve by bringing this lawsuit. A fascinating explanation is provided as a
| comment to my original post from Jeremy Allison. He's one of the leaders of
| the Samba project, and knows more than most about how Microsoft thinks and
| operates, since he's been heavily involved in the EU's efforts to get
| interoperability information from the company. Here's what he wrote:
|
| What people are missing about this is the either/or choice that Microsoft is
| giving Tom Tom.
|
| It isn't a case of cross-license and everything is ok. If Tom Tom or any
| other company cross licenses patents then by section 7 of GPLv2 (for the
| Linux kernel) they lose the rights to redistribute the kernel *at all*.
|
| Microsoft has been going around and doing these patent cross licensing deals
| with companies under NDA's so they never come to light for *years*.
|
| That was the whole point of the Novell deal - Microsoft lawyers finally
| thought they'd found a way to *publicly* do these cross licensing deals and
| get around the GPLv2, but the GPLv3 put paid to that.
|
| Tom Tom are the first company to publicly refuse to engage in this ugly
| little protection racket, and so they got sued. Had Tom Tom silently agreed
| to violate the GPL, as so many others have, then we'd only hear about a
| vague "patent cross licensing deal" just like the ones Microsoft announces
| with other companies.
|
| Make no mistake, this is intended to force Tom Tom to violate the GPL, or
| change to Microsoft embedded software.
|
| [...]
|
| So it turns out that the TomTom lawsuit goes to the heart of Microsoft's
| attacks on Linux, and its effort to stop people using it in embedded
| systems – an increasingly popular option, and one, therefore, that is
| increasingly problematic for Microsoft.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1953&blogid=14

Linux companies sign Microsoft patent protection pacts

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux_companies_sign_microsoft_patent_protection_pacts