Re: [News] Unicon Tries Sidling with Free Software

____/ Attila on Thursday 05 March 2009 18:14 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Unicon Announces New Open Source Cooperative Support Program for Jasig's
>> CAS (Central Authentication Service)
>>

>> | Unicon, Inc., the leading provider of open source software consulting
>> | services for the education market,
> Grrrrrrrrr. No it isn't. It's a programming language. I hate it when that
> happens. But at least they're both open source.
> http://unicon.sourceforge.net/

I see... remember the fallacious NTY article about R?

Data Analysts Captivated by R’s Power

,----[ Quote ]
| It is also free. R is an open-source program, and its popularity reflects a
| shift in the type of software used inside corporations. Open-source software
| is free for anyone to use and modify. I.B.M., Hewlett-Packard and Dell make
| billions of dollars a year selling servers that run the open-source Linux
| operating system, which competes with Windows from Microsoft. Most Web sites
| are displayed using an open-source application called Apache, and companies
| increasingly rely on the open-source MySQL database to store their critical
| information. Many people view the end results of all this technology via the
| Firefox Web browser, also open-source software.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/technology/business-computing/07program.html?em

There was a bit of a followup:

SAS Warms to Open-Source One Letter at a Time

,----[ Quote ]
| “R is a leading language for developing new statistical methods,” Bob
| Rodriguez, the senior director for statistical development at SAS, said in
| the notice. “Our new Ph.D. developers learned R in their graduate programs
| and are quite versed in it.”
|
| The company looks to add more R support into its software as soon as next
| year.
|
| While limited for the moment, SAS’s support may be enough to open the company
| up more to the R discussion and developers in the future.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/16/sas-warms-to-open-source-one-letter-at-a-time/

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes