The year is 2014

  • Subject: The year is 2014
  • From: Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 23:50:09 +1100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Another great Linux year, the kernel is now 2.8.40, and the Linux ARM
netbooks sales are flattening out after record levels from 2010 when they
hit the shelves.
 ARM Netbooks were a godsend for retailers in the tough economic conditions
of those days, when they couldn't give the old laproasting Windows Quad
core notebooks, with a 1/2 hr battery life away.

This years netbooks have a 1920x1200 Electronic Ink display, and a wifi
connected user can browse for 48 hrs, which is amazing for a device so thin
and light. I guess the new polymer batteries helped there as well.

I had to laugh, as first XP, then Lacklustre-7 as (WinBeta-7 became known)
were tried on the ARM netbooks, but didn't have a chance really. The fact
that Microsoft pulled a SCO and went into chapter 11 last year isn't
helping their chances either.

Still, Intel will have some company at least.

With the Microsoft monopoly a shadow of its former self, the trolls are
still here on COLA, proving that they never had a Microsoft connection, or
a life and that the only requirement to be a troll, is a mental illness of
some kind. No computer experience is necessary.

It's surprising how quickly things change, why it just seems like yesterday
when everyone believed that Microsoft would last forever, even tho they
needed 58 Billion USD a year to keep their doors open, and they really
didn't have anything anyone wanted to buy, especially when Linux had the
same or better (usually better), and for Free.

Sadly the trolls will have to find a new home soon, because with almost
everyone running Linux thesedays, COLA has become a dusty old clubhouse,
full of cobwebs, and tired old memories of ancient flamewars.

As COLA only handles about 50 posts a day now, and they are all from trolls,
arguing amongst themselves, it's finally time to turn off the lights.

Ironically COLA is the only place they are welcome as all the other
newsgroups just laugh them clean out the door.

So I'll be taking the old wooden COLA plaque home, the big polished one with
all the famous old names like Alexander Viro, Jim Richardson, Craig Kelly,
Matthew Gardiner, Rex Ballard, Sinister Midget, Roy S, Homer, Chrisv, Chris
Ahlstrom etc,etc, to hang in the study, a reminder of the old days before
Linux was a household name.

Now where is that light and power switch ...

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008