Re: [News] One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux

amicus_curious wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote...
>> Ezekiel wrote:
>>> High Plains Thumper wrote...

>>> This is no different from Acer and Asus where "one third"
>>> of their sales also used to be Linux.  But that was until
>>> the last few months of the year when Linux sales collapsed
>>> to 10% and Windows went up to 90%.
>>
>> [quote] Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to
>> competitive pricing on the Ubuntu SKUs. “When you look at
>> the sweet spot for this category it is price sensitivity,
>> and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price entry point,”
>> added Dell senior product manager John New.
>>
>> According to Dell, the the return rate of Ubuntu running
>> Mini 9s are comparable to the XP rate, which we are told is
>> “very low.” “Our focus has been making sure that before the
>> order is taken is that the customer knows what he is
>> getting,” New added.
>>
>> Beyond educating customers before they make a purchase, the
>> success of Dell’s Ubuntu offering may also be attributed to
>> the easy to use graphical user interface that they have
>> created which makes it easier to launch popular programs and
>> Web tools. [/quote]
>
> The article fails to mention how well it is being received in
> the Phillipines, though.  She needs to contact Huang.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs

or http://tinyurl.com/4wucpq

[quote]
48 hour special – ends 5th March
Inspiron Mini 9
Your new best friend. The lightest too : mini 9 is only 1 Kg.