[News] GNU/Linux and Free Software Are Where Jobs Exist

Is Open Source a Good Career Bet for Developers?

,----[ Quote ]
| With any article whose premise is ensuring the safety of your programming
| career, it's tempting to try to hook your attention with fear, uncertainty,
| and doubt about the state of the economy. I could point at all those layoff
| statistics. Or I could frighten you by bringing up the spectre of your job
| going overseas.
| But that's not the point, really. Our career choices affect us personally no
| matter what the economy looks like. We all have to find a balance between
| what we love to do and work that someone else will pay for. (This is why I
| cannot brag about my remarkable career from consuming chocolate; I've never
| found someone to pay the bills for it, alas.) To make the best career
| choices, you must become aware of where the market is going. And then you
| have to fine-tune your expertise so that your skills stay in-demand... or so
| that you can develop new skills that shortly will be in demand.
| [...]
| And the good news for open source developers is that
| comparing "programmer," "programmer open source," "programmer .net"
| and "programmer java" yields a happy chart for open source developers. The
| overall programmer salary averages $73,000 per year, and the Java and .NET
| developers earn just over that ($76,000). (Or, to be more rigorous, more jobs
| are advertised with those salaries.) In contrast, open source developers are
| offered $83,000--a nice raise.

Finding Employment is a Gamble, Open Source Careers Aren't a Bad Bet

Software System’s Fans Gather to Talk Code

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Ridder, a residential fellow at the Center for the Internet and Society
| at Stanford Law School, said that there was an ongoing debate about the pros
| and cons of free and open-source software, but added that such software has
| recently become more widely used, in part because of its flexibility.

Linux Courses Increase Job Options for Techs

,----[ Quote ]
| For software programmers and developers worried about layoffs and job
| security in these tough economic times, the answer may be as clear as the
| screen on your cell phone. That's because manufacturers of small consumer
| equipment like cell phones and PDAs need programmers trained in embedded
| Linux to hand-tune the product's software code.

Where the Tech Jobs Are, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| "In a recession, headcount looks like a cost center, but open source can turn
| employees into profit centers -- or, at worst, into less costly cost
| centers," he said.
| "For example, let's say an enterprise needs [an enterprise content
| management] system, perhaps for outsourcing documentation or to build a new
| catalog system -- or perhaps for a workflow system around approval of
| executive documents. Traditional IT would invite vendors to do a dog-and-pony
| show," Asay explained, "ultimately culminating in a purchase of software
| licenses and services to make the licenses useful to the enterprise." The IT
| staffer is then mostly responsible for coordinating others' efforts, and the
| associated expenses.
| An open source savvy IT person, by contrast, would download an open source
| ECM solution and tweak it to save the company license and services
| fees -- "and the risk that the software wouldn't work as advertised," said
| Asay.

Training program to create 100,000 jobs

,----[ Quote ]
| LUPA (Leadership of Open Source University Promotion Alliance), a Chinese
| open source software community, plans to initiate a training project for the
| country's computer and software graduates as low-cost open source software
| development is gaining popularity in the current financial crisis.

Linux and your worth in the Job Market

,----[ Quote ]
| As bad as the economy is right now, there are quite a few jobs out there.
| Especially for Linux System Administrators/Engineers!

Gameloft Moves 1,000 Desktops to Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| “It’s been a pretty big deployment, well over 1000 desktops and it’s been a
| huge success,” crows the source. “Ubuntu does the same job [as Windows] for
| zero cash. The most painful thing about the change over was moving to
| Thunderbird from Outlook. No one has batted an eyelid about moving to Gnome.”

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]